Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should be an easy one... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
How do you type the "pipe" character? The straight line up and down. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
[alien]

Hi,

On the Compaq keyboard I'm using it's the "shift \" key.

Ray

Thanks Ray, that has been bugging me for the last couple of days... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
[alien]

I'm sorry, but I can't help it..do you really have the CCNA and MCP? Can't believe you wouldn't know where the pipe character is having certs like that..can we say paper cert?

How often is the | charachter used on Cisco and Microsoft systems? I've never had to use it on anything but Linux and Unix, and he's a Linux newbie.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please vote for them for "Tipmaster of the Week" by giving them a "purple star". This can be done by clicking the "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post" button.

Well, | works (and is even useful sometimes) on MSDOS and PCDOS. But, I suppose M$ means WinDuhs to most folks these days ;-((

Check out Ruby (a true OO language). It uses | to enclose the argument of a do. Ruby runs on WinDuhs as well as *n*x.

Octalman

Give me a *real world* example of when you might actually use the | symbol in DOS? I'm sure it works, but nobody uses it.

I worked on Windoze and Novell servers for a few years before jumping over to Linux/Unix. Not once did I ever use the | symbol in Windoze or NetWare. I wouldn't say that Matt is a paper anything just because he didn't know where the | symbol was. Big deal! If he was an RHCE and didn't know, well then thats a different story.

Ruby? Never heard of it. We're not talking about programming here anyway.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please vote for them for "Tipmaster of the Week" by giving them a "purple star". This can be done by clicking the "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post" button.

I've used these numerous times and still do on my pc's.

Type dir | more

Type anytextfile.txt | sort | more

Type anytextfile.txt | sort > prn

Just to name a few-

I believe it's pretty much the same on any windows compatible keyboard hold down the SHIFT key and press the \, or Backslash, key. . Like alray said above.

my2cents - an old dos user

We've established that the | symbol is used in DOS, but none are essential to know to admin a Windoze network. My whole point is that genocyde made an unnecessary rude comment which I don't agree with. You don't need in-depth DOS knowledge to be a Windoze or Cisco admin. People shouldn't have to worry about a**holes like genocyde making fun of them for asking what they think is a stupid question.

Regardless, if he wanted to know where the <ENTER> key is, should he not be able to rely on the support of a technical forum?

I agree, comments uncalled for.

&quot;There are no stupid questions, just stupid people&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back