Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shorter php session data filenames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazilian

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
is it possible to have php create shorter session data filenames? if so, anyone have an idea on how to do that? thanx.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

There is no configuration directive to do it.

PHP bases the name of the session store filename on the actual value of the session ID -- it basically prepends "sess_" to the ID.

So, the only way to get shorter filenames would be to convince PHP to use shorter session IDs. That would likely require tweaking the PHP source code and installing your custom version.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to use shorter session store filenames?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

ok, well, that may be more than i have time to do. anyway, i'm putting php and apache on an embedded platform, running an embedded linux OS with the Minix filesystem, which only allows 31 character length filenames. thank again.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

I think your workaround will likely be to implement your own session-handling system in your scripts.

You might poke around on SourceForge to see whether there's an already-written class available.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

ok, kewl, i think i'll do that. i am looking at the php source right now too. i guess with as far into development as i am using php, and the likeness i've found for php, i would love to continue using it for this project. thanks.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back