Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut to home directory for each user to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomkat1983

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
US
I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this simple application launch but I have multiple users on single WinXP workstations. I would like to launch a shortcut that points to their home directory. I'm using zfd4 with nw6. I can launch other programs and installs without a problem but the shortcut will not display properly or when executed point to their networked home directory.

Any thoughts or help who be appreciated. Hopefully, I'm just overlooking a application creation step.

Explain how you have created the app object to place this shortcut to better assit you with this.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
Senior Network Engineer

The app object is pointing to file H:\ and is associated with the user for it to appear on the desktop. The users are mapped to their H:\ thru a login script.

Make the app object a force run, then under the Distribution Options tab, create a shortcut to be delivered to the desktop that points to your H: drive. Make it create if does not exsist.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
Senior Network Engineer

Within Distribution Options I created a shortcut named Home Directory and added the desktop of the local user for the location. The target file is the H:\ and I added an icon name and have it running normal window. In associations I have the user and the force run option checked. The proper operation system is choosen and I still am unable to get this application to work properly. After logging in as my test user, I receive the Application folder on my desktop but not shortcut. When I had the run option pointing to the file m:\, I recieved an icon (not the one chosen) but that did not work either. Any more suggestions?

If you are just trying to open the directory with explorer then i use the following path to executable
%*WinDir%\explorer.exe with the following parameters /e, c:\extract (you obviously could change that to your h drive.

If it is another application like lotus notes which needs to read an ini file before it executes then you need to put that path into the parameters section. eg =h:\lotus etc.

i very often create a batch file to test these things first and just put those parameters in zen. good luck

Thank you for all the help, but yesterday instead of creating the shortcut in an application, a friend and I wrote a script creating the shortcut and a bat file that would delete the old shortcut and execute the script. I have the app object associated with the users and the file pointing to the bat file. So far this seems to work the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back