Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
Hi,
I put a i.e. shortcut on the desktop and it is not working i click on it and it the frame is coming up, and then nothing happens, I have 3 PC's all are IE 7 and WIN XP Professional.
any ideas how to fix that problem?
Thanks,

It's only the shortcut? Otherwise IE works fine when starting from the start menu?

How did you create the shortcut?

Yes IE is working fine, when I saved it in to my favorites I can open it from there.

I received a zip file from the company with the url on it, and it it creates the desktop icon, which works on about 20 other computers.
I also created then the shortcut from file sent shortcut to desktop and it didn't worked I even created other shortcuts to see if it is just that specific one, but none worked.
Thanks

OK, so it's a shortcut to a specific address that's the problem. When IE opens a blank window using this shortcut, do a refresh (F5) display the web page? Secondly, does the behavior change if an existing IE window is already open when launching this shortcut?

Yes the shortcut works, if I open the browser first, minimize and then open the shortcut.

Is there a setting in there to change that?

Thanks

Follow the procedure mentioned in the 'Resolution' section of KB281679, testing after each step.

I suspect it will start working after the first step of re-registering urlmon.dll

Hi,
thanks for the resolution, unfortunatley it didn't help.

:)

I finally re-installed IE 7 on one of the PC's where the shortcut was not working and now it is working - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back