Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut arrows are back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtanium

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
GB
I have TweakUI installed and have for a couple of years not had any arrows on desktop icons signifying a shortcut. 2 days ago, I updated Win98 from the Microsoft site with a couple of security fixes and as soon as my computer rebooted to complete the update, the arrows were back.

I have tried removing them from Tweak, nothing happens, uninstalling and re-installing Tweak from Windows CD, nothing happens, upgraded Tweak to a later version from Microsoft, still nothing happens, and finally read about the changes to the registry required to change the appearance of the icons, and carried out those changes and still nothing happens.

I even tried C:\scanreg /restore to get back an older setup, but the only registry available was today's.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Cheers
Tom

There was an update back in march from Micro$oft that altered the Shell32.dll file.
Hence, TweakUI cannot remove the Shortcut Arrow.

Here's a quick hack:

1) Fire up Notepad - cut and paste the following to the message body in Notepad.....
---------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{63B51F81-C868-11D0-999C-00C04FD655E1}\InProcServer32]
@=""

---------------------------------------------------------
2) Save the file (Anyname), changing the extension from .txt to .reg
3) Right-click the file and select merge.
4) Click OK.

Will work after ReBoot.

In case you might want the arrows back,
just repeat the steps inserting:
C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHELL32.DLL
between the two quote marks at the end.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back