Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

short time addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

smayshar

Programmer
Aug 30, 2003
AU
I have a table with a short time fild that indicate how many hh and nn some thing was on
what will be the sql to add a long list of this values ?
like:

01:50
10:20
02:30
-----
14:40
thaks

You may try something like this:
SELECT (24*Int(Sum([myTime]))+Format(Sum([myTime),'h')) & Format(Sum([myTime],':nn') AS TotalTime
FROM [myTable]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Code:
? Format(#01:50# + #10:20# + #02:30#, "Short Time")
14:40

which just illustrates that there is no need for the seperate addition of the hours and minutes portion, just the formatting of the results.

On the other hand, summing a "long list" of such values may (almost certainly will) exceed the capicity of the "short time" format, so the display of such a sum must be carefully considered.

MichaelRed

MichaelRed, my suggestion was for handling TotalTime greater than 24 hours.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

thanks for the fast reply
PHV I tried to put the sql statement in a query but was not accepted by the jet syntax error
MichaelRed what if it is unknown amount af values ?

PHV

I guess, then, that the "something like" was supposed to be a clue?

My point is that there is no need to format or modfy the summation of the individual values of the series. I would also consider that the subpart(s) of your expression may easily return (rounding) errors.

MichaelRed

any sugestions how to summerise short time ?

smayshar,

Date/Time values in Ms. A. are stored as Floating point (double) values, with the 'whole number' portion representing the number (count) of days from #12/30/1899# and decimal portion representing the portion (fraction) of a day(if any). When adding time values, and applying format(s), if the summed values exceed the format capacity, Ms. A. simply displays the requested portion, as in:

Code:
WorkingTime
12:45
1:20
4:16
14:44
12:12
16:23
18:19
21:12

TotTim
5:11

which is derived from:

Code:
SELECT Sum(CDate([WorkingTime])) AS TotTim
FROM tblWrkTime
WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;
with the "short time" format applied to the field

As opposed to:
Code:
[code]
without the formatting

The "4." portion represents the four(4) days, while the ".2159 ..." portion represents the 5 Hours and a few (11?) minutes, as seen via:

[code]
? Format(4.21597222222, "Short Time")
05:11

MichaelRed

Sorry for the typo:
SELECT (24*Int(Sum([myTime]))+Format(Sum([myTime]),'h')) & Format(Sum([myTime]),':nn') AS TotalTime

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back