Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shoretel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblack

MIS
Sep 6, 2002
US
They must be making in-roads in the market for them to have their own thread.
Am currently evaluating the product for a possible solution to an aging phone system. Any information from current users would be appreciated.

Good phone system, but has its difficulties for non tech savy people. Transfering call options arent a delight as the time delay is too short. Customizable but not to the extent we would like it. Call manager works well with the phones and supports outlook contacts.

it uses an access database. if you dont mind what kind of programming have you done with it so far, im working on an intranet site here and am looking for some ideas to tie in the phones.

We have just a basic call center enviorment with a few work groups, nothing major, were mostly an Avaya house but we sold 1 of these ShoreTels. i went to the trainng course in PA, not bad IMO.

Why not choose nortel? What area are you located in that Shoretel is an option?

I have worked on Avaya, Nortel and Alcatel. Shoretel blows them away. If you want a system easy to install, meet customer requirements and very little maintenace this is for you.

What does Shoretel provide for voice conferencing? Our users routinely conference two or three callers at their extension and use an internal conference bridge to conference as many as 10 to 12 parties.

You can dedicate ports for conference or purchase the conference package. I would think the Conference Bridge package would be best, but I do not know the price.

Avaya IP Office 406V2 will conference 64 parties out of the box no extra charge.

PS Simple to install works again works out of the box

[cheers]

I am a fan of the IP Office. I have installed a ton of them. We sell both IP Office and ShoreTel. ShoreTel is easier to use and much more dependable. If we install a ShoreTel we install and walk away. The customer is happy and we don't have issues. IP Office is not like that. Since the original version, Avaya has worried more about getting it out to the market than it has about making sure it works. At one install, Avaya sent out a Tier 4 Engineer to stay at the customer site for 2 weeks to resolve issues.
The IP Office is more flexible when it comes to programming. That is the only thing it has above the ShoreTel system.

ShoreTel out of the box will support a 6 party conference call but you do have to assign ports (actually DSP resources) to get to the 6. If you need more than 6 conferees ShoreTel has a Conference appliance that will support up to 96 conferees and support collaboration, etc.

Overall, we were very impressed with the Shoretel system, loved the management interface and the VOIP sound quality, but the conferencing bridge was a $12K add-on budget-buster for us. Bought the IP Office, generally satisfied, but the quality does not live up to the Avaya reputation.

the IPO depends heavily on the tech. It can do many things, and more than one way to do 5them, some work better than others. If you are having that many issues with IPO try another tech. Many sell the IPO, few master it.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

We just recently implemented ShoreTel to 2 of our sites. The first was flawless, the second not so much. Problems were not necessarily ShoreTel though. We run all our apps over Citrix and had some issues with the voicemail in outlook not displaying properly over Citrix. We also ran into issues with our Plantronics headset bases not answering calls properly.

Other than that, awesome system. [thumbsup2]

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

you can always hang an ipo off/behind another system to add its great, cheap, conference bridge capabilities. that eliminates the 12k price for conference bridge add on.
if you are paying for conference services, 12k will come back quick on an roi, even if you go with the shoretel solution at its price.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Hey Matt,

You wrote "Problems were not necessarily ShoreTel though. We run all our apps over Citrix and had some issues with the voicemail in outlook not displaying properly over Citrix"

Were you able to resolve this issue? We are experiencing the same problem and ShoreTel says to my VAR "We support Citrix, but not Roaming Profiles"

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hey Matt,

You wrote "Problems were not necessarily ShoreTel though. We run all our apps over Citrix and had some issues with the voicemail in outlook not displaying properly over Citrix"

Were you able to resolve this issue? We are experiencing the same problem and ShoreTel says to my VAR "We support Citrix, but not Roaming Profiles"

Thanks,

Jeremy

We were able to resolve everything and it runs pretty flawlessly now. This is not a knock to Shoretel, but for the most part they don't know what they are talking about in regards to Citrix. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

What kind of issues are you seeing? Maybe I have seen something similar and can point you in the right direction...

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back