Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shoretel replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb123

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
GB
So we are running ShoreTel in the company that i'm working in at the moment and I've got to do a telephony review next year to see if ShoreTel still fits in the business.

To date the ShoreTel system has proven mostly reliable, with a few niggles that have needed whole-scale updates as ShoreTel don't patch.. and it needs a license for just about everything..

Now I've been playing with asterisk/freepbx as a hobby and it looks like it'll work really well.

I have 4 sites currently with a central site and 3 remotes that can operate independently if the links to HQ are lost, I also have contact centre with around 180 agents.

Would Emetrotel fit this kind of setup? how would I achieve the remote site resilience? and could I use the ShoreTel phones? I believe that the 230 and 230g are running mgcp and the 480's are some flavor of sip. It'll be the phones that dictate realistically where we go.

Any thoughts? is there anyway to get hold of a small dev system to poke under people's noses?

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

E-MetroTel requires a license for every extension and a fee or purchase of some Applications.
As you have found, asterisk/freepbx will fit your needs.
I have 5 stand alone sites that are tied together using IAX2 trunks. 3 digit dialing between sites.
Another 2 site system with a small acd that is also linked with IAX2 trunks.
Your 480 should work since they are SIP.
The 230 & 230g should or can be made to work with Asterisk by editing the mgcp.conf file to suite your needs and manually configuring each phone.

Cheers for that - I guessed that the 230's could work - does anyone have a mgcp.conf that I could take a look at? been trying to get these working to prove that they can but am getting nowhere fast.

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back