Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shoretel Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEAXMAN

Technical User
May 21, 2014
US
Hello Everyone,

Brand new to Shoretel, and I am interested in setting up a lab a Shoretel system in my networking lab. If I were to buy a cheap Shoregear 40/8 on eBay, would I have to add licenses to add the Shoretel telephones? I just want a basic system up and running to compare, trunk with my Asterisk and Cisco systems that I have running. I can't spend tons of money on this and it would be in a pure lab environment. Thanks for your help please feel free to give me any suggestions!

Unless I'm mistaken you'd need a shoretel director server to control the 40/8. Without the Director they are just doorstops (from a admin point of view)

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

So I cannot do anything really with just the Shoretel Shoregear 40/8 switch then, correct? I thought that the Shoretel director was built into the switch, and you would go into a browser, put in the IP address of the switch, and then the GUI interface would come up to manage the switch and change it's configuration. I guess this is not the case with Shoretel?

All call processing (setup and tear down) take place in the ShoreGear switches. However, they are managed and set up by the Shoretel Director. Shoretel Director is installed on a Windows server (stand alone or virtual) and it is a web based management program. So, you do in fact use a browser to get into ShoreTel Director to manage everything. Aside from management, Director and the server also manage and supply the UC capabilities (ShoreTel Communicator) and voice mail. There are also V switches (50V, 90V) where the voice mail resides on the switch itself. However, all managemnet is done through ShoreTel director.

All that said, you need to have a Director somewhere on the ShoreTel network to manage switches, voice mail, system management, work groups (call center), and ShoreTel Communicator. However, once it is set up, the system will continue to function for call processing and hunt groups even if the server goes down (you would loose voice mail, work groups, management, and UC).

Thank you, this makes much more sense. I have been doing research on Shoretel and thanks to your post I feel like I understand their architecture much, much better now. I have a Windows Sever in my Networking/Telephony lab, so is there an easy way to get the director software? The only way I saw to get it was on Shoretel's website and you must have a login. Is there any way for a beginner to experience the system without having to buy everything directly from Shoretel? I really am interested in setting up this system as it seems very cool but I just cannot spend tons of money this. Thanks.

The ShoreTel architecture is a bit unique, and is actually one of their huge selling points.

There is no legitimate way to get the software without being a dealer. This is because Director is also embedded in the ShoreTel version. So, when one installs the ShoreTel software when first setting up the system, or upgrading the system, the version of Director is also included. So, unlike other systems, say Avaya IPO or Siemens HiPath, Director is not really just a management program, it is actually completely integrated into the version and function of the system. This is why it is not sold/installed separately.

However, one sometimes sees complete ShoreTel servers/systems/demo kits for sale on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. If they have the software already installed you should be able to use it, as long as the password is included.

Good to know. I have found some systems on eBay at a reasonable price that I can afford to put in a lab to experiment with. My question now is: Say I get the Shoretel Server and the Shoregear switch from different people. If the Server is a higher/lower release than the switch, am I able to upgrade/downgrade the switch to work with the server? Also, if the server comes with the licenses, do those transfer to the switch, or does everything reside on the server? Thanks to everyone who has helped me out. I really appreciate it.

You can easily upgrade/downgrade the switch to work with the server. Once the switch is added to the system through Shoretel Director, it is usually automatic. Sometimes it may require a reboot of the switch, though.

Dan

I blame Avaya.

Hi,

As of ShoreTel 14.2, you can emulate IP-Phone, SIP Trunk and the SA-100 switches along with the HQ (Director) server as well so basically you can have a test system running on VMware for 45 days grace period :)

Cheers.

Tudor

Except you cannot download 14.2 software without buying a new ShoreTel server, being a vendor, or getting it from a vendor that according to the dealer agreement cannot be give/sell it like that....

The below was written in a post above about Director, but it applies to any version of Shoretel not installed on a server already (IE, you cannot get v14.2 without already having it or buying a new system, or upgrading a current install legitimately):
There is no legitimate way to get the software without being a dealer. This is because Director is also embedded in the ShoreTel version. So, when one installs the ShoreTel software when first setting up the system, or upgrading the system, the version of Director is also included. So, unlike other systems, say Avaya IPO or Siemens HiPath, Director is not really just a management program, it is actually completely integrated into the version and function of the system. This is why it is not sold/installed separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back