Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shopping Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshep

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
GB
Hi,

After desinging my site we now need a shopping cart. I want some software that is very customisable so I can make it look like the rest of the site but I dont have to take forever learning how to make it work (wish I had more time!).

I have been looking at Actinic which seems ok. Anyone got any reccomendations?

Feel free to recommend any site with shopping availablitly too!

Many thanks, Red

There is only one ecommerce program that I use for my clients. It is affordable, easy to customize and is VERY stable. Go to The only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked

You just cut and paste HTML code and insert into your page . The code creates a quantity box and add to cart button. Very custmizable DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

If you need a complete, ready-out-of-the-box online catalog and sales system with real-time credit card processing capability yadda yadda, you might consider Miva Merchant.

treebean,
A word of caution.
After reading thru the posts, since I was also looking for a shopping cart program to fit my needs. One that would handle paypal, I looked thru all the links and such and came upon one of the praised programs.
Unfortunately, since I was in a hurry to get things up and going, I didn't e-mail them first to check things out, which I usually do. Usually, if I get a reply in a timely manner, I feel a little easier about doing business with them.
Suffice it to say, I no longer have my $79 nor do I have the program. Several e-mails and voice messages yield no response. Attempting to use their contact form resulted in an Internal Server error. Not a good sign.
Granted, they may yet come thru, but it would be wise to attempt to contact the seller before handing over any funds as you may find yourself empty handed.
I will let everyone know if they do come thru.

Well, time for me to eat crow.
After about a week, come to find out the outfit I was irritated with was having e-mail problems, along with their server. The contacted me and installed the program, not yet working because of a config problem, but they are working on it.
They came thru, although it took a while. But I understand and look forward to its operation.

I have built several sites using Quikstore. It's cheap, it's easy, it's open source (if you're a Perl coder) and the customer support is great.

Oh ya, it also supports PayPal.

MSB [peace] webdev@cox.net

Did I mention that Quikstore will also run on both Unix and MS servers. MSB [peace]
webdev@cox.net

zumie,
Thanks!
I just wished I'd have known about them a little earlier, but that's ok, gonna have to do another one soon and I can then compare them and see which one I like better.
Very cool.

Hello,

Thanks for all the ideas, I am looking at the carts at the moment....QuickStore initially seems good, I like the fact there is a good forum.

One question though - would people advise using an ASP or CGI based cart and why?

Cheers,

Red

RedShep,

I prefer CGI only because I've been writing Perl a lot longer then ASP. I think it boils down to personal pref.

You might ask yourself if you plan on tweeking the cart and if so which language are you more comfortable with. MSB [peace]

webdev@cox.net

Strive for whorld peas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back