Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shopping Cart feature for website - how to/best option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovelybones

Technical User
Oct 6, 2007
Hey Guys,

I'm about to set up a website which will sell clothing.
I want to create a shopping cart feature and not have to rely on someone elses' design.

Main reason being most either seem to charge too much and they don't seem that customiseable, also I want to keep everything within the website so people only need to go to one website.

I know CGI can do it, but not sure on the scripting. Also I need something that's secure so peoples' credit card numbers are secure (but I read about some SSL security certificate type thing)

Any suggestions? Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Max

Check with the hosting company of the site. If not chosen yet then let that be part of the shopping around. Yes you will want to use SSL. MOst hosting sites offer a shopping cart with their plans. Some are easier to integrate than others.
Will the client have their own merchant account or will they use a company that provides one and all the processing for them?

I've been looking at just add commerce as an option, but seem more on the expensive end ($50 a month), but I'm not sure if the others require a monthly payment or just one payment up front.

It also seems the easiest to intergrate compared to the others.

Any other options? Something similar to bustedtees.com.

I've also seen a paypal option type check out (but you have to leave the website. Not so seemless.

i just signed up for hosting with hostway.co.uk and they have a pretty good customisable merchant option. i've signed up for it too, you should check it out hosting including the merchant option is about £240/yr

meant to add they have a demo option as well so you can have a look at it and see how easily customisable etc..... you can create links to shop items from other pages in your site and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back