Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shockwave (not flash) player for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NL
Hallo,

Has anybody got any idea when (or if) there will be a shockwave player available for linux? Why isn't there one anyway?

I checked out this link :
It's straight from the maker of Shockwave (Macromedia), and Linux isn't listed (Although Windows and Mac are). Hmm... I have to call that a definitive 'not sure will try it out and see' situation (I'm running XP right now, thinking about shutting off the box and putting another NIC in the box and getting my *nix fix :)).

----
JBR

I think (but not quite sure) that mplayer plays shockwave files. You can even download mozilla-mplayer which will play almost every codec there is, including shockwave (I think).

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

Thanks All,
I obviously did the google check first, so yes I am aware that there doesn't seem to be any dedicated shockwave plugin. I even stumbled upon petitions to have macromedia port the player.
I was hoping that somebody had some obscure link, or perhaps more up to date inormation on this ...
I will play around with mplayer and see how it goes.

I forgot to mention that mozilla-mplayer is a plugin for the Mozilla web browser (Maybe it was obvious). So it's very convenient.

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

Firstly, there's no Linux Shockwave player because Macromedia doesn't see a demand for it.. yet:

BUT, there is one piece of software I found that can help, called CrossOver Office. Unfortunately it's not free and is probably more than you need, but it should do the trick.

I also found this link, which is a bit dated but very promising:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back