Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shocking Handset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

h382

Vendor
Aug 9, 2005
US
Have a user using a 5420 Phone, and three times in the past 2 days, the handset has literally shocked his cheek.

The system is grounded, and the handset has been swapped out, and it happened again today.

They are plastic handsets obviously, but I know some of the components are metal inside, but what are the chances of this happening twice to the same guy with 2 different handsets? Could the phone be sending out power voltage to the handset than normal?

shocks are electrostatic energy the power from the phone is provided by the system and if to high would kill the phone.
does that person get shocks on the desk as well or on the door knob in the office?
it might be that the person carries the charge and the phone is just used to discharge.
never heard of it but all is possible. Is the system grounded?
maybe ground the persons chair to see if that helps.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Back in the Tie days, their electret mic was on the "receiving" end of shocking people as you mentioned, and it killed the mic in the process. It was found that it wasn't the handset or the mic, it was a laboratory office which was very dry....no humidity! The company "Tie" later said to use static-guard on the chair and the chair matt which caused a great deal of static charge. And BOOM, it was all fixed.

I kid you not!

Lord

I believe it is a static issue. He did mention he got shocked on the light switch when I just got off the phone with him.

I believe I'll suggest a small humidifier and/or the static-guard WANLord mentioned.

humidifier is definitely a good idea if it is a small confined office space, if you have an area that is big then your humidifier will fight windmills.
There are also anti static floor mats available that will probably help

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

Don't waste time on the anti-stat mats, I had the same problem in my own cube, and I got one of those. Didn't work. Connected an ESD cable to my chair and tied it to my desk frame, knocked it right out...

Just sayin'...

"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays"
//scook

had a look at your other thread and I have no idea, but I have a ticket open with avaya about weird behaviour with the softconsole and 5400 phones so that might be related.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I have heard of this before. What I did was fill a spray bottle with water and Downy fabric softner. Spray around his desk on the carpet also by the door(the path to and from his desk). This will eliminate the static.

If your processor on your manager pc is real slow you can see some of the hidden functions and selection that are on some of the forms but are programatically hidden. In the user form>telephony>supervisor settings there are two selections that are hidden called Wake-Up and Time-To-Live. I think that they are call center supervisor options.

;)

Probably for sbcc/ccr in the feature

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back