Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shipping Data Entry - Line Item>where does it come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpsiks

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2007
US
Hi,
I turned on the Shipping Module for the first time, everything is going great, but some of my Sales Order do not contain the items within it when pulling it up from Shipping Data Entry. If I go to the sales order and look at my Line Item, they are there, but not in Shipping. I don't use MAS90 much or do not know much about the company's process/daily functions, I need to know where the Item is being pulled from in Shipping Data Entry. Some Sales Orders show the Item, I think those Sales Order contains Items that are in the INVENTORY.

Is this how Shipping works? You can only ship an order that has items that you have in inventory? Which makes sense.

Thanks for any response!

Have you checked to see if the "Drop Ship" is checked? This would cause an item entered in Sales Order to not show up in Shipping Data Entry.

It's not checked. I tried checking it to test, but nothing either.

What shows up are items that contains "/C" item number.
Why wouldn't the other ones show up?

Thanks for your response.

Is this how Shipping works? You can only ship an order that has items that you have in inventory?"

You just answered your own question. Shipping is suppose to be just that, the shipping of actual inventory items. If it is a comment, a /M or * entry then it will NOT appear. How do you ship a comment?

We don't ship anything right now through MAS90, especially will never ship comment lines. I am just trying to figure out what items will appear in shipping. We have a lot of Miscellaneous items (/M), didn't know whether I am missing a step or it just wants Inventory items, which now I can confirm that it will only take Inventory Items.

Comment lines (/C) does show up in shipping, on my system that is, don't know why. It might be handy for something.

Comments are supposed to show up in shipping, in case there are notes the shipping personnel need to see about an order.

Dawn

Dawn is correct as always, I was talking about misc. and special charges. Anyway tpsiks you sound as if you are new to MAS. Can I ask if you have been to any sort of training class?

I have not been to any training for MAS90. This is my first time working with a manufacturing/accounting software. Matter of fact, I haven't even use Quickbooks, I've installed Sage Timberline for many companies but never learned about the internal structures/processes. I've spent all my career working on computer hardwares and networking. Now I am an IT guy for this company, we use MAS90 throughout the company, even in the plants. Workers clock in and out and charge materials to jobs from JOBOPS. I've been in this about 4 and half months and I can handle most problems and errors, learned Crystal Reports very well, and pretty good with JobOps Configurating, but I am lacking the experience in manufacturing/accounting processes(if you know what I mean). I am just learning as I go, and this is the first time that the shipping module is being turned on. The company had this software for 5 years but did not use shipping. I also have to learn and manage a 20 years old Unix ERP software. I spend 1/5 of my time trying to migrate and eliminating certain part of this Unix system, in order to start using MAS90 fully. I have very limited time to work on MAS90(one of the little things that I have to work on.) I am a one man IT department. Our shipping is done with a program that I made when i started working here, before they did it through Excel and it was very messy. It pulls data out of both the Unix system, MAS90, UPS, Vendors, and Customers's own shipping requirements. We do Drop ship for many customers and they have their own packing slips, terms of agreements, and so on. The shipping personel can input data into this program, there are many data that we have to keep. I turned on the shipping module to see what's like and what it can do. That's why I was curious about the Item line in Shipping, and figured that if I ask this simple question in this forum I can get an a quick answer from Experts like you guys, without having to spend time figuring out what it wants.

This company used to hire JOBOPS experts that deal with our MAS90 issues, but when I came in the company got rid of them because they charge as much as I make in a month for a 4 hours support. And these guys are very slow to response. My company President told me that I save the company tons of money and time. Whenever they need a report wrote, they will get in about 2 months. I can do any report every wrote for this company in about an hour or two, and I had to clean up many of their reports. They are the only company in where I live that supports MAS, they are very busy.

Sorry, this is a bit long of an answer to your question BL.

Thanks for all your help, and I will have more questions later down the road, probably something as simple as this.

One bit of advise, go to class. Start with Date Files and go from there. How do think Dawn and I learned all this stuff we post, we went to class, conferences, refresher courses. A little spent on sending you to training will save a lot later on what you will be able to do. Here is a good example. I am an end user, we are on 4.05 and are planning an upgrade to 4.20. Based on all that I have learned in classes, conferences and the like I will be doing my own upgrade and saving the company about $15,000-$20,000 because of the enhancements and mods we have installed. I could never do this if I had not gone to all the classes and learned.

If you do need a reseller you can always use one from another state; they do not have to be local. I am from a reseller for example that supports JOB-OPS. We have clients in many states and provide remote support. I don't want this to sound like a commercial but as Louie attests there are resellers that know their stuff and some just do not.

You can email me if you would like to discuss more and find out our rates, how we charge, etc.
danastasi@c-gconsulting.com

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back