Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shielded Cat 5e Patch Cord RJ 45 Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winger15

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2005
US
Hello All,
Is the "Shielded" Cat 5e Patch Cable Plug the same foot print or size as the Cat 5e UTP Plug, I have been told the are have a larger footprint and may not plug into the base of an Avaya VOIP Phone set?
Thanks for any info.

No, the 8 POSITION MODULAR PLUG is physically the same size whether it is shielded or not. If you ever take one apart, the plastic insert is actually smaller and fits into the metal shield. The one I am describing is the Modular Plug made by Amp/Tyco. You can get the drawing from Amp's website, and you may be able to get a sample if you want to try or examine one. They should fit all US designed 8 Position Modular Jacks and hardware.

....JIM....

Agree with SYQUEST. Although the cable will be stiffer and not twisted.
just curious
Why does an Avaya VOIP Phone set need a shielded cable?

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Your cable, if needed, should be shielded and grounded to the patch panel.

Standard patch cables will work fine from the panel to the switch. CAT 5e and CAT 6 cable is specifically designed to resist EMI.

But, if you really want to spend the money, then, yes, a shielded patch cable will plug into a standard RJ45 port.

I have used shielded CAT5 cables for raw (non-baluned)audio and video distribution as non-shielded yielded very noisy results. However I have yet to use shielded for voice or data (including baluned audio/video) as EMI has never posed any problems with these types of transmissions.

Absolutely No

The only difference between regular and shielded plug is: that shielded can’t be damage as easily.
For instance, if you would drop something at the cable, the Shielded plug won’t break as easily as the regular one.

Look at those pictures:

Regular

Shielded

As you can se the size is identical the only difference is as I said in the material that the plug had been made from.

We saw EMI network problems near a small airport when the pilots keyed their radios. Shielded cable solved the problem.
However, be diligent about the proper grounding of the cable, connectors and panel...least you have an antenna.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Thanks to all of you, your response is very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back