Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shelling to DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKtechie

MIS
Mar 27, 2002
US
Hello all-
I am experiencing a wierd problem that when I attempt to Run a DOS command from dBase V, it returns "Incorrect DOS Version." When at the DOS prompt, the command works just fine. Any ideas? Here's the command:
??RUN("readme.com " + m->file_name)
Thanks in advance,
BKtechie

Do a file find to see how many readme.com's you have. It sounds like you have more than one. Christopher F. Neumann
[dBASE Charter Member]
Blue Star Visual dBASE graduate
ICCP certified TCP/IP Network Analyst

There is only one instance of readme.com and it exists in the Program's directory. I decieded to attempt to shell out to DOS from the File menu and it gave me the same error, as if anything involving a call to DOS will not work. Gulp... Thanks for your insight.

I only have db3+, but you can try without the ?? and the () like:

RUN "readme.com " + m->file_name

--MiggyD

What version of Windows are you running? There's always a better way...

I'm running a Dos client on a Netware 4.11 network. The clients boot off the netware server. The path is right to find command.com on the server's dir, and the same setup works at other locations. Any thoughts?

The problem is Windows is using the command.com off of your c-drive. Once booted, you are looking at the command.com off of your novell server. You need to add a comspec line to your novell login script that points to the command.com on the server. Novell is what is telling you that you have the problem.

We had this problem a while back.

Richard L. Hankins Jr.
Senior Programmer
Auction Services, Inc.

I cleaned up the login script on the server, but to no avail. When I exit out of Netadmin, it freezes the system with the message &quot;System halted: Invalid command.com&quot; <gulp>. After a re-boot, the same old problems keep happening, but only on the computer that has a hard drive. The diskless workstations run the programs fine. Thanks for your help so far all.

When I had this problem, I had to create seperate login scripts for each different workstation operating system. For example, for Windows 2000 users, I would create a directory on the Sys volume called WIN2KDOS and place a copy of Windows 2000 command.com in this directory then I would edit the login script for each user to look like this:

map s1:=sys:win2kdos
comspec=s1:command.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back