Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ShellExecuteEx issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLider3

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
PT
Hi

I'm using ShellExecuteEx to run a dos program from my bcb aplication. In lpFile i put the path to the program, and in lpParameters the line with parameters.
well, the dos program sends some messages to the monitor and i want to save them to a file.
If I run the program in command pronpt it's easy to do that:
prog.exe -i something - o something_else 2> output.txt
( 2> because i know it sends the messages to stderr)

I tried do had the " 2> output.txt" to the lpParameters string but it's not working. :\
So, how can i save those messages to a file?

Nobody knows what i have to do?
I wasn't clear enought?

Come on ...it has to be a way to redirect the stderr to a text file using ShellExecuteEx.

Please ... i need help on this one.

I must admit, I've never tried it. Have you thought about putting the whole "prog.exe -i something - o something_else 2> output.txt" in the executable line?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Well ...i'm executing the external program using ShellExecuteEx.
I put:
Code:
SHELLEXECUTEINFO sei;
memset(&sei, 0, sizeof(sei));
sei.cbSize = sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO);
sei.fMask = SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS + SEE_MASK_FLAG_NO_UI;
sei.hwnd = NULL;
sei.lpVerb = "Open";
sei.lpFile = "prog.exe";
sei.lpParameters = "-i something - o something_else"
and the program is executed.

Then i changed the lpParameters to:
Code:
sei.lpParameters = "-i something - o something_else 2> output.txt"
But it doesn't run.

I'm shooting in the dark but have you tried:
Code:
sei.lpFile = "prog.exe -i something - o something_else 2> output.txt"
sei.lpParameters = ""

James P. Cottingham
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

It looks like it should work with the lpParameters. This is probably a stupid question but I can't see why it won't work, but have you tried this at the command prompt to see it it will work there?

James P. Cottingham

yeah, at the command prompt it works fine.

So, nobody knows how to help me? Noone never needed to do such thing?

I haven't tried it. Have you tried CreateProcess? More complex but it might work.

James P. Cottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back