Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shell compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2002
IL
Hi,
I using shc shell compiler for hide my script code.
I compile and run the script.
But ps command allows to see script code.
I.e:
ps -ef|grep myscript

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Vadim

why hide your code? ashamed of it? make it GPL.

Actually I want to hide a passwd string within my code.

Consider putting your passwords in a separate file that
only root has read-write access to, and the script read access to.
And let your script read the passwords from it.
Think that would be lot safer also....

Unfortunately that can't help me.
From security reason I need to hide it from root user also.

So you're saying your root user can't be trusted? A strange state of affairs if so!!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

If I explain it - do you give me a solution?

In general, it is not a bad idea to hide passwords from root. I am root all the time, but why i should have knowledge of passwords of other people?. It's bad enough to see all these pop3 passwords in wireshark (the bad thing about it is that people continue to use insecure protocolls).
yai

Definition of a Unix guru - one who knows how to circumvent security but no longer needs to.
Quite simply, it is next to imposible to keep things like this from the root user, nor, if you're working on my systems would there be any reason to. If you can't trust the root users then you shouldn't be running your programs on their boxes.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

As columb says - that's why sys admins are employed in the positions of trust they are.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

just to get the terms right: do you mean root or god?
Just joking. But if you have a complex tiered environment with a OS-tier, database-tier, application-tier etc. then you should keep rights (and responsibilites) to the respective administrators. root should not be oracle user and sap* at the same time, and must not know their passwords. Exception: if you are the only admin running unix, oracle AND the app, e.g. SAP. Of course can root become oracle and then hack the sap* password (in fact there is an OSS note how to do it), but then it's by intention, and you might be sued for it. Remember: you are the admin, the data belong to somebody else.

yai

I think I meant root (when I'm not smiting the ungodly)!

Seriously I agree, indeed I don't know the Oracle system password, and if I need something done in Oracle I go and talk to my friends over on the DBA team.

The point I was making was that the OP wants to hide passwords and doesn't trust his sysadmins enough to be able to say 'This is a file full of passwords - please help me contol access to it.' I know of several such files on the systems I look after (including one which holds the Oracle system password) and I don't go around reading them any more than I read other peoples mail files. However, if I were the sort who would do that then a)I shouldn't be a sysadmin and b)obfuscating the passwords is extremely difficult and probably wouldn't be enough to stop me.

Columb Healy

Ok, so on a more positive note, I agree with geirendre. Personally I liaise with the users to agree to a file in /etc/security (a root only directory on AIX systems) which is read and updated using suitable sudo commands. The update needs a wrapper as vi is unsafe under sudo. The sudo commands then become
Code:
%dba myhost = /usr/bin/cat /etc/security/oracle_pwd
%dba myhost = /usr/local/bin/update_pwd_file /etc/security/oracle_pwd *

Columb Healy

It would be interresting if vlz could give any
hints as to why he needs to keep things from root.
And is it only passwords or is it the code itself
that root must not see?

>> Sounds like SOx-speak to me. Am I right?
No, it's BSI, as we are located in germany (BSI = Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, something like federal office for security in information techniology).

Seems like we found an interesting topic: 15 postings in 2 days. Wow.

Probably there is no big difference between columb and me. Of course you must trust somebody. And of course we WANT TO trust somebody. But people are not just good or bad, theres a big scale in between. And people make mistakes. And, also, it's a good thing for root to be able to say "hey, it wasnt me, i don't even know the password".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back