Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharpening a blurred jpg photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBugzz

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
JP
I've made a photo with a digital camera, and on the camera's 2" screen everything seemed ok, but when I opened it on my pc, I found out that the image is a little blurred - not critical, but noticable.

Is there some way to fix this problem in photoshop? Simply using the sharpen filter doesn't seem to help much, or maybe I use it not the best way.

Any suggestions?

Hello,
Try using the Unsharp Mask filter instead of the Sharpen filter. Using the Sharpen filter gives you no control over the amount of sharpening. The Unsharp Mask filter has diffenent sliders that you can set to different levels. Try different slider positions and see if that helps at all.

I find there's generally no making up for a blurred picture (although PSD's unsharp mask is very good for slight blur).

For my digital camera (canon G2), if I use a flash, the picture is almost guaranteed to be crisp.

However, a flash makes for harsh lighting and unnatural cast shadows. So, when I put my camera into "manual" mode and turn off the flash, and thus the shudder speed becomes slower for more light exposure, I am more likely to get blurrier pictures.

The best remedy here is to have a tripod or a very steady surface. My apologies if you weren't looking for Photography 101 tips.

As for the little preview that the camera shows on screen... it's almost always sharp because it is reduced.

So, if you're just posting something to the web, probably by the time you reduce it back down to web resolution it may very well look pretty sharp again.

Reduction is a great way to increase sharpness.

I have to some what disagree with deeshubby.
A slightly blurry picture can certainly be sharpened.

Aries has the correct solution although I'd like to add a tip.

Here’s a better way to sharpen color pictures that takes advantage of “Lab Color” mode by sharpening the light and dark portions not the color portions of your picture.

Why, because you can apply more sharpening and not have chromatic aberration a.k.a. "color fringing".

Open an image (in this case RGB mode)
Image > Mode > Lab Color
In the Channels pallet Click the "Lightness" layer.
(This shows only grayscale withour any color components.)

Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp mask
(you may need to adjust to please your eyes but try keeping the amount between 50 and 150% the radius between 1.5 and 4 pixels and start with the threshold at 1)
click the preview box on and off to see the effect.
Click OK when done.

In the Channels pallet click "Lab Color" layer to restore color portion

Image > Mode > RGB (put pack to original mode)

much luck

Thats giving the perception of sharpness.

Out of focus is out of focus.

If the "information" isnt there, you can't make it appear. If the information for sharp eye lashes is not there, sharpening the pixels will not make them appear.

You can "sharpen" outlines of specific areas to give the "perception" of sharpness, but the detail is still not there.

Remember digital zoom is less quality than optical zoom. ALso remember if you're using zoom, get a tripod. Zoom not only magnifies your subject, but also magnifies any movements you make (and thats with ANY camera).

Yes I totally agree "out of focus is out of focus" but no-one mentioned "focus" as the problem.

McBugzz states: "when I opened it on my pc, I found out that the image is a little blurred - not critical, but noticable"

I simply offered a method to back my premise, "A slightly blurry picture can certainly be sharpened".

Giving the perception of sharpness is exactly what I was trying to do.

Sorry If I confused the issue.

As far as cameras go, I haven't shopped for anything lately, so I don't know what's out there.

I just wanted to say that about a year ago I bought the Canon PowerShot G2 and have been EXTREMELY happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back