Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharp text wanted in navigation bar 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpencerApril

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
US
Other websites I see have clear yet small text in navigation bars and other apparently bitmapped areas, but mine gets fuzzy when reduced to a small but reasonable size. What to do?

are youusing images or text

i like verdana and formatted to about 10px size

<signature>
sometime you just gotta say &quot;WHAT THE @#*% !!&quot;
</signature>

if you're using images then it's hard to keep sharp lettering when the size gets smaller.... but as deecee says verdana's a good font when the point size gets small.

Have you an example of a nav bar that you like?

------------------IMAGES----------------------------
&quot;keep sharp lettering when the size gets smaller&quot;
= Micro Buttons

if ur a PS lover ;-)
---------------------------------------------------

----------------TEXT---------------------------
as suggested...experiment with fonts &quot;system,arial,verdana,geneva...)
-----------------------------------------------

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

If you are using text as an image on a transparent background, I have found that when I &quot;save for web&quot; it works well to select a grey matte color that is lighter then the text but darker then the background. It helps keep the text crisper but without a slight white outline.

They are probably using &quot;pixel fonts&quot; within image files. Pixel fonts are specially designed to remain legible at small sizes. Search on Google for some free ones, such as those here...

(follow the link for Bitmap Font)

Ice hockey nostalgia at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back