Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing while offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyH

Programmer
Jun 16, 2000
US
We have 5 computers networked via a workstation. What I am trying to do is when one of the computers are off, the others can still be allowed to access the documents off that computer, then update then when the computer is logged back onto the workstation. Is there anyway for Win2000 to do this without getting a server?
Thank you,
Sandy

Hmm, I don't follow you.

If the computer is off, how are you supposed to share it? You need to have the computer shut down into Standby mode then enable the Wake-On-LAN (WOL) feature in the BIOS and operating system.

what I am trying to accomplish is say one of our computers is a laptop and he disconnects from the network to take the laptop home to work on. When he is at home, he wants to work on some files that are stored in the main computer, then when he returns in the morning he wants the files to automatically update from the laptop to the main computer. Does that make more sense or just get more confusing? :)

There is a feature in windows 2000 called offline files and folders similar to the old briefcase. I think you can synchronise with a peer workstation/server as well. I've used it in a domain situation and it works. Sounds like this is what you are looking for.

Check into the 2000 help for more information. ~ Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Henry Ford~

sandyh,

You can share Files offline in Win 2000 by useing the Synchronization Manager.You can get to it by clicking on My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>Offline Files. You can set it up from there. You can get step by step using Win2000 help. Just click on Help next to Tools. In Help type Synchronization Manager.

spool

Sorry guys. There were only two replies when I read this post. We can be a little redundant here at times. To much help is better then no help I always say.

spool

Thank you everyone for your help. I think this is what I was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back