Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing violations- error 3406 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

asuneda

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
We recently installed ArcServe2000. When I attempt to do a backup, I am receiving multiple 3406 errors - "Unable to read file (file= \\Server01\...\*.gif, ec=sharing violation). The only information on CAI's website I can find indicates that this error is due to the files being open by another machine/user/application. However, on all of the servers in question we have installed the Backup Open Files Agent. It also appears that the only type of files that it has trouble with are .gif or .jpg files. Has anyone ever had this problem? I am wondering if I missed something in my configuration. Thanks in advance for any help, I am very new to this!

Asuneda

Hallo

Just make sure that the agent is running. Look in control panel / services. When you install the open file agent is doesn't start by default. You need to start it.

Klaus

Well, all of the Backup Open File Agents were started, but the Client Agents were not. I started these, but it did not seem to make any difference. I am still getting the sharing violations. Thanks for the suggestion...can you think of anything else?

Thanks
Asuneda

I'm getting the exact same errors. Arcserve 2000 refuses to backup remote machines' jpeg/gifs/bmps. Please let me know if you find a solution. I've called tech support but they advised me to install SP2 for arcserve 2000 which in turn killed the arcserve engines. I had to re-install.

Thanks,
Marlon

I've been getting the same e3406 errors, but only on some .gif files. Other .gif files in the same directory back up with no problem. We're running Arcserve 2000 w/ SP2. Haven't been able to get a decent answer from Arcserve support.....

I'm on hold with CA as I type this. We are having the same issues. We have 6 servers all identical to each other. The open file agent on 4 of the 6 seem to do fine, the others refuse to backup some of the GIF, JPG, and BMP files. All patches are in place including SP2. Still no difference. CA has been useless so far, even with our reseller status. I'll post an answer if I ever get one.

Same problem here, only it happens with .html/.mov too.
Problem is that we are a web content company, so these formats NEED to be backupped ... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone found a solution to this, I'm finding thias error occurs with all graphic formats jpg, eps etc.

Hello,
just a hint. There have been issues where Real Time Virus Scanning Engines (InoculateIT, McAfee, Norton Groupshield i.e.)had to be shut down prior to starting the backup sessions; especially when backing up remote machines, because if the scanner is not finished with scanning a file and AS tries to backup it you'll get this "sharing violation". Maybe changing the scanning directions will work. Hope this will help.

We have resolved the issue at our site - Reset the user account of the services Arcserve uses on all of the servers to your backup account. DO NOT use the local system account option, use your backup account and password to run the services. Reset the security on all Arcserve program directories to specifically include the backup account. WHY this would affect the backup of graphic based files only? Even CA doesn't know - they were little help.

Same problem here - What Services are used by AS? What should be installed? BAOF? Client Agent? At the moment I am using just Backup Agents for Open Files (actually i'm not sure if they work properly). Should I also install the client agents on the servers in question?
What do you mean with "Arcserve program directories"? The directories in the backup server (C:\program files\computerassociates\arcserve)?
thanks for your support!

I tried what "jtatreau" suggested and it worked like a charm! Arcserve should pay you for this fix.....

This may work I am not sure, I haven’t tried it yet to be honest but I got it from CA's site. To see if the agent is responding go to a DOS Prompt to the machine where the client agent is installed and type in:
--->telnet <agent IP address>6050<agent port address>.
If a telnet box pops up then the agent is working correctly but if nothing comes up than it is not working properly. I wish I could give more info but this is all I know. Hope it helps.

I am having the same problem but with .edb and .dat files. Will try the fix suggested by jtatreau and post the result.

I applied the fix suggested by &quot;jtatreau&quot; and it seem to work except for \imcdata\queue.dat. Why would this still be having a sharing violation.

Also can anyone confirm whether, when you do an ordinary backup of exchange 5.5 (i.e. not a brick level backup),
that only the transaction log files are backed up and not the actual Priv.edb and Pub.edb files.

That is what I seem to be seeing in my ArcServe log. It is saying that the directory store and information stores are backed up but when I try to match Mb for Mb, the numbers don't tally.

I still have the access violation problem with \imcdata\queue.dat

The other issue is solved. ARCServe backs up the volume skipping the Exchange databases and then returns and backs up the databases separately. So all the relevant information was at the end of the log for that server.

It seems there is a mixup here. There are actually two ways to perform a backup of a remote machine:

1. through the network: the server reads the files using extended pathnames, e.g.: \\remotemachine\C$\path\file. This does not require the use of the Arcserve client on remotemachine.

2. through the client-server mechanism: the server connects to the client on remotemachine and asks for the file(s) to be backed up.

The problems I've had with &quot;sharing violation&quot; occurred only in method (1) above, in all the haphazard ways people have reported (some files in the same directory do work, some don't; most large JPG files fail, but not all, and small ones too; etc.). Why, I can't tell, but at any rate I wanted to find a working solution... So:

However, when I tried again using method (2), the backup of the remove machine ran flawlessly.

The selection of (1) or (2) above occurs in the Backup window, left pane: either use &quot;Network&quot; (I suppose that's the way it's called, we have a French version) for (1) or &quot;Client Agents&quot; for (2).

Michael

Thanks to mfircam's well described solution (above)!
We tried it and it worked beautifully. We were having
all the problems described above (Error 3406) with Arcserve
2000 on a Windows 2000 server.
Switching from &quot;Network Agent&quot; to &quot;Client Agent&quot;
in the Backup window does the trick.

V. Jag (Assistant Sys. Ad.)

I'm getting the 3406 problem with some gif files using &quot;Client Agent&quot;. I know it must be connecting to the client ok because it can't login if I stop the client services and gives me the System State option when they're started. The job description shows this text (ip altered) ..

Source Nodes
SERVER01 ( 999.999.999.999 ) Through Agent
\\BBDEV01\D$

The other strange thing is I chose a particular subdirectory to backup ..

Job ID ....... 1
Workstation .. SERVER01
Source ....... d:\directoryA

But errors come back from other directories ..

E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\SERVER01\D$\directoryB\file1.gif EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\SERVER01\D$\directoryA\file2.gif EC=SHARING VIOLATION)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Glyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back