Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing USB folders across workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhony

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
IE
I thought this was going to be something simple but maybe I'm just doing something stupid. I have a client with a PC running XP Pro, and connected to a number of other PC's in a workgroup.
The main PC has a 1Tb usb hard drive attached, and what I was planning to do was create and share a Users folder on the hard drive, and then create a sub folder for each user. Then I would password protect each of the subfolders so they cant access each others stuff. Very basic and I thought it would be a 5 minute job.

But I can't password protect these folders under XP so it doesn't work. Is there an easy way to do this???

If you are currently using the default "Simple File Sharing" method to share out the folders, disable it for more robust access control. You can then share out the folders and control access using NTFS permissions. This will allow you to explicitly define who has access to which folder. The following article is a good reference guide to get this set up.

- Windows XP Professional File Sharing

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

Thanks for the response. My only reservation with this approach is I would need to set up each user on the PC. This is basically a training room so my plan was to have the usb hard drive connected to a PC in a locked office, (so no one can pick it up and walk away), and just set up the folders. Easier for the administrator to just delete folders as students come and go rather than have a whole load of user accounts that are not used on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back