Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing the same .pst file with two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sregor

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
GB
I have two computers networked at home and would like them both to update the calender events on Outlook 2000 and that update to show on both computers.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Only if ONLY one user will be accessing at a time--they are not shareable files. Put it on the network. Open one OL, go to File-Open-Pers.... close OL. Go to other PC, File-Open-Pers...

:)

I will obviuosly hold the .pst file on one computer, but how do I make the other OL point to the 'common' .pst file over my home network?

Over your own network you would create a share of the drive or folder the PST is located in and map a drive to that share from the other computer. Then simply go and add the Personal Folder service and browse thourgh the share to the PST file you are looking for.

Having done this before there are some limitations to accessing this PST that go beyond the limitation of one person accessing it at a time.

A. the PST file is opened and a "lock" is placed on the file as soon as the "Personal Folders" service is loaded.
So mypst.pst is opened as soon as Outlook is loaded with a Personal Folder service pointing to mypst.PST.

Even if the folder is not expanded or being viewed, the first system to load outlook with a "persobal folder service" pointing ot mypst.pst will obtain the lock of the file.

B. This "lock" is not released until outlook is closed entirely. If a random email or Calander item is still opened the .PST will still remain open. EVEN if you remove the Personal Folder service the file will remain opened and "locked" until Outlook is completly exited.

The best way we handled this since both users needed access to outlook but not the PST was to create 2 profiles. One with just the mailbox and one with their mailbox AND the PST file.

That way a person who came in at 8:00am and didn't need the PST would open the MAILBOX only profile allowing the 9:00am employeed to log into the System AND have access to the PST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back