Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Satellite provided Internet service

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidude609

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
US
I hope this isn't a stupid question, please bear with me!

I have an Internet connection (Not sure they can call it a "service" ) via DirecWay Satellite. It's a 'home' service so I don't get a static IP address.

* The system uses a USB cable to connect to my primary PC
(ONLY choice).
* I am running Windows XP Home on my primary PC.
* I DO have an available NIC on my primary PC.
* I have a Linksys "Wireless-G Broadband Router" (WRT54G)
* On my primary PC I have gone to Control Panel/Network Connections/"DIRECWAY Satellite Connection"... and enabled ICS

I would like to share the Internet Connection with another PC (Running Windows 98 2nd Edition & has the Linksys card installed).

I've been flailing around with different cabling configs but have so far been unable to access the internet on the 2nd PC (Windows 98).

From EITHER PC I can login to the router and looking at the DHCP clients I see BOTH PC's.

I have tried connecting from my primary PC to the LAN ports of the router with both a normal network cable and a crossover cable but nothing seemed to change (ie I tried normal cable, got no joy so took it out & tried the other cable). Also tried connecting from the Primary PC to the WAN (Internet) port of the router with both crossover/normal cable & no luck there either.

Has anybody ever done this?

Can you outline what needs to be done?

Direcway says it can be done BUT they won't offer any insight into HOW! (Argh)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jim

Make sure you know about, and have at least looked through the FAQs on this site:

I am going to use this as the basis:
Connect directly to the WRT54G, and access the web setup page for the device.

1. Set a static IP of 192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1
2. Under the DHCP tab, disable DHCP.
3. Under Advanced, Router, set to router and not Gateway mode.
Save the settings

Now, the ICS machine connects to a regular lan port. All wired clients connect to regular lan ports. The WAN port is not used.

The wired and wireless clients will obtain IP addresses automaticly from the ICS server machine.

bcaster & shocker...
Thank-you for taking the time & helping me out. I now have everything working (thanks to your feedback!)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back