Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegabeta

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
RO
On a WinNT4.0 network I have a Win95 workstation with C and D shared.
How can access someone from a NT workstation(user) only a directory. Is that possible ?

Thanks.

I take it that you mean that you have a 95 machine and you would like other users to connect to a directory on that machine.
If this is the case select the directory on your 95 machine. right click and select sharing. Give it a share name and give whoever you want access. Then on your nt machines you just need to map to \\stationname\sharename.
You can do this permanently through login scripts if that is what you want.

Cheers

Thanks grimmy77 for your response.
I've formated the disk and after I've shared the two partitions I have C$ and D$.
Even as administrator(from my workstation) I cannot view these partitions. If I make a shared folder I can do that...
What's wrong ?

C$ and D$ are NT's default administrator shares - and will only be accessible if you have administrator rights to the machine they are created on (or have an Admin user on your machine with same credentials as an Admin account on the target machine).

But they're not supposed to be used for normal sharing - you should set up your own shres for that - is there a problem for you doing this?

For wolluf:
Yes I can make another shares.The problem is related to C$ and D$.
I'am logged as administrator on my machine and on the W95 machine there is the same 'user' with the same right, but with explorer for example I can view only Printers and Task Sheduler. Normally, as administrator I must view all...

but they are hidden (the $ suffix does that) - so won't appear in network neighborhood/explorer. You'll need to access them explicitly (eg type \\machinename\C$ in a run box) or map a drive to them (eg, net use x: \machinename\C$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back