Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing problem 98Se/2000pro ask for password? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipholiday

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have 98se and 2000 pro networked through a router.I am able to share the 98 files with the 2000,the 98 cannot access the 2000 files though.Keeps comming up asking for password?I have a pass. on 2000 but it does not work from the 98.Is there some sort of default pass. for these type connections?
Thank you

Check the Thread with the name : Peer-to-Peer Networking and the number : thread616-268840 ,, I think it was talking at the same subject Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

I think what you need to do is create an account on the 2000 box with the same username and password that you log onto the 98 box with. Assign this user rights to the shares you are talking about and see if that works. Another alternative (I don't recommend) is enabling the guest account on the 2000 system. Just a couple thoughts....

Thanks for all the help ,I am networked and sharring everything perfect.

test this in the Registry :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value Name: ForceAutoLogon
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.