Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Printers on a XP Pro Network Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebatman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
Trying to share the printer from an XP Pro station on a windows NT Domain network - Done this with many other systems, and I have setup sharing on the printer, but all the other computers on the network are denied access.
What am I missing?

EP

Have you got the "Guest" account turned on?

Anything here to help you?

Microsoft Knowledge Base ( results)

Technical Articles

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in a Workgroup (Q290403)

The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear (Q305281)

Netdom.exe Cannot Join a Windows XP Professional-Based Computer to a Domain (Q294355)

SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition (Q304707)

No User-Level Access Control Is Available for My Network Places or for Sharing Folders in My Computer (Q307040)

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040)

Release Notes for Windows XP Contained in the Relnotes.htm File (Q306819)

Windows 2000-Based Computer Is Inaccessible from the Domain (Q306927)

If anyone has a suggestion: The printer is on a Windows XP Pro station attached to a Windows NT Domain. I can access it from other Windows XP Stations, but not from the Windows 98 stations.

I had this same problem and I had to log the user from the Windows98 on the windows XP box. I then logged off and used the username for the windows XP box. BTW all the users were domain accounts and had been added to the local account on the XP machine. The log off and log onto the XP machine with it's own user account. Then try printing from the 98 machine and you should be fine.

One drawback of this, whenever the user changes the password on the XP machine you have to go through this routine.

Is there anyone out there who knows of any easier way ?

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back