Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Printer via a Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeau

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
US
Hi all:
I need some help with this:
I have 2 PCs connected to a Router ( for internet sharing). I need to connect a laser printer to the router for sharing purpose. The PCs are not part of a network since I have used their network cards to connect them to the router. One PC is running 2k and the other win 98.
How do i share that printer via the router if possible?
Thanx

First, if the two PC's are sharing one internet connection, they they both are part of the same network. The gateway computer is the one doing the sharing and acts as a "server" (not in the true sense of the word) to the other PC which is the client. Since this connection is already established, then you have a couple of options for connecting the printer to the existing network.

One way is you can easily connect the printer to one of the PCs, enable file and printer sharing (on both systems) and share the printer. That's an easy and inexpensive way. (Make sure you are using Win98SE on the '98 machine or better yet, upgrade it to Win2K as well.)

The next way would be to use a printer network connection device (such a an HP JetDirect) which allows the printer to connect to the network. However, printers also require print servers for managing the print queues. In an enterprise network, there are servers for this function. However, in a peer-to-peer network, there isn't a server, so a print server needs to be added as well to perform that function.

Read the help file (Start -> Help) on printer sharing (use the Index to find "sharing printers").

WW

I am not sure I am following you.
I am trying to stay away from hooking the printer to one PC. This would mean that PC has to be on at all times, right?
I was thinking if i could attach it to the router it would consequently be available at any time....does that make sense?
thanks

Yes that is true. To do what you want to do, you would need to additional pieces of equipment for the printer: (1) a printer interface connection and (2) a print server.

See step 4 in the diagram at
Check your printer's manufacturer for proper network interfacing options that allow you to connect to a 10/100 Ethernet LAN. They probably will also recommend compatible print servers.

For installation instructions see
By using a print server and interface card, the printer basically becomes just another node on the network and therefore addressable by all PCs. It will even have it's own unique IP address within your network.

Good luck.

WW

Thanks WW, you have been a GREAT help!

While we are on the network issue.
How do I get these 2pc to interact without getting another set of network cards and a hub.
right now the only connection between them is the router.
thanks again!

What kind of router? I'm assuming that you have a cable/DSL modem connected to the WAN port on the router and each PC is then connected to a LAN port. A lot of routers also act like hubs for the LAN side, so you just need to set up peer-to-peer networking.

How are your LAN connections configured?

Do you have Microsoft Networking installed?

Is File and Printer Sharing installed?

I suggest looking at the Win2K help file (Start -> Help) peer networking (use the Index to find "peer-to-peer networks, creating"). It will answer most, if not all of your questions.

WW

LeBeau,
You might also want to check out the D-Link range of products. I have used the DI 704P router, which has a parallel printer port built in, quite successfully for some time. You connect the printer directly to the router and it can be shared by any computer on the network, which you do have as long as the computers are plugged into the router. It all depends on your protocols and services to get full sharing of resources. In addition, D-Link have printer servers, also with multiple parallel connections that preclude the necessity for NIC cards in printers.
PS - I have no connection with D-Link (no pun intended), other than satisfied with their product and service.
Cyberboy
Every computer is like a snowflake. There are no two alike.

HP has the same. That is, they two have print servers with the lan connection all built in. However, I still recommend checking with the manufactuerer for recommendations.

And I have no connections with HP. (Pun intended. [noevil])

WW

CyberBoy:
I have the same router DI-704P!
How did you get it to work with two pcs? Please share.
I tried but could not get it to work...HELP!
Thanx

Hi LeBeau,
Happy to oblige.
1. The parallel printer cable from the printer is plugged into the router.
2. Install the printer driver in each pc (CD with printer).
3. Install the D-Link printer port drivers in each pc (CD with router).
4. Set each printer as a networked printer and to print through the D-Link printer port in the printer configuration.
From recollection, I think that's all there is to it. I use an Epson ink jet printer. Hope this info works for you. If not post back and we'll see what we can do...

Cyberboy

CyberBOy:
Hang in there with me!
The router is set up and all.
The pcs are all connected to the router and can access the web.
The killer is how to configure the printer as a network item to be seen by both pcs.
Tried a couple of times but could not get it to work at all.
The printer is a lexmark laser.
what can you remember????
thanks a bunch!!

Incidentally ME running on both machines. Remember is the key word, because I don't have the D-link router at home any more. I gave it to a friend to help him out. Although I did set up his machine and a laptop( both running WinXP) with a shared Epson ink jet. I'm seeing him early next week, so I'll check it out and get back to you.
It may be redundant to ask, but you do have file and printer sharing set in the Nethood and you have set the printer as a shared printer, right? If you right click the shared printer and select properties, then check the "Details" tab, you should be able to see all the ports to which the printer has access. The D-link port should appear in that list. If not, then you can click on "Add port" and you should be able to browse your way to the shared printer.

Cyberboy

CyberBoy:
Thanks!
yeah I have done all the above.
The only thing is: at one point I did try to use the router port to set up the printer but I ended up killing my access the net. I also did create a new port for the printer with a bogus 192.168.02.1 address. That seemed to go well until i tried to print from the main PC and yup it did not work. I then got a Tcp/ip error message.
Let me know what come up with1
Thanks again

Hi LeBeau,
Just as a matter of interest, did you e-mail support @D-Link to see if they had a solution? I found their service to be good. From what you have explained, it would seem that the only solution may be to uninstall the D-Link software, and possibly your NIC cards from the Nethood. Then on rebooting it should reset your TCP/IP settings and then you could reinstall the router and printer port software. I'd give that a try, since everything else seems to have failed.
BTW, what OS are you using?
(Maybe I should extend my catch-phrase to include routers too...;->)
Cyberboy

Hi LeBeau,
Hope you don't have any of the following: (This from DLink's support site).
Q:Why won´t my Lexmark printer work with my D-Link print server or router?

A:Certain Lexmark printers may not work with print servers because they do not have command interpreters built in to the printer. Here is a list of Lexmark printers that may not work with printer servers:

All Z series*
X73
X83
E210 laser
5x00
7x00
Any other (new) Lexmark printer without a built-in command interpreter.

* Some users have been successful using their Z series printer. Try disabling bi-directional printing.

To contact Lexmark directly for any questionable printer you can email them at Lexmark Support(support@lexmark.com)

Incidentally, do you have the silver or grey cased router?

Cyberboy

CB:
Nah, I have the Optra E312l Laser and the router is silver and grey with the green logo!
THanks again man!

Hi LeBeau,
Update. Sorry, didn't get to check out the D-Link router yet. It's going to be sometime next week. I'll be sure to keep in touch.

Cyberboy

Hi LeBeau,
I really don't know what to tell you. I checked out the D-Link router again and I did have to reset the laptop to print through the router, but the set up was no different than I have done for several machines to print through this router. It's always been very straightforward...
I fear that you may have upset some settings during an earlier configuration. Maybe setting the bogus 192 address might have triggered something. As suggested earlier, the only solution may be to uninstall the D-Link and printer software, and possibly your NIC cards from the Nethood. Then on rebooting it should reset your TCP/IP settings and then you could reinstall the router and printer port software.
I really wish that I could give you a more positive solution, but something seems to be eluding us. There's no logical reason why this should not work, that's why I think restarting your set up may be the best way to go. Unless somebody else wants to jump in with some suggestions.
If you come across anything to correct this, please let me know, as I'm really intrigued by this situation.

Cyberboy
Computers are like snowflakes. No two are alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back