Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing port 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikendo

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
Hi guys,

Im running 5 Windows 2000 server(standard). I have just created another IIS5.0 server on another server. Im running into little problem here. Why I cant use 2 port 80?. One for server abc and other one for server xyz? If I port forward 81 to XYZ then the site it launch. Its there around this?

If your using NAT then your only able to foward the port once, thats the limitation of using NAT. Only way to get around this to get multiple public IP addresses.

Faitless,
You right, Im am using NAT. I do have few static ip in my company. How would going do this? Do I need to add this public IP in the router?

Just find out I have 4 static ip. Now I wanted use static ip #2. I still dont understand how the static going point to my internal ip. Do i just add the static ip on my internal box?

You would have to make sure your router supports a non-nat setup 1st, then follow the instructions on how to set it up should be in the manual that came with it. But you will most likely still want todo NAT aswell because you most likely have more than 3 computers that require network access. You will have to configure your router with virtual interfaces to be able to carry out both, thats if you chose your router to do the NAT'ing to. You would give that other public static IP's to your servers and 1 to the router.

Another option would be to forward port-80 to only one server. Load a reverse proxy onto that machine and have it talk to the others. It will serve up the information to the user. Plus, that way you only have one machine with public access.

ISA server will do that. There are also many free reverse proxies out there.

Too much info to go into here; but with some research, you should be able to find everything you need on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back