Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing permissions VS security permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster123

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
GB
help guys i'm confused with this one. whats the difference between sharing permissions and security permission. this one is puzzling me.

Quoted from Techrepublic:

"Share permissions are the permissions you set for a folder when you share that folder. The share permissions determine the type of access others have to the shared folder across the network. There are three types of share permissions: Full Control, Change, and Read.

NTFS permissions determine the action users can take for a folder or file both across the network and locally. Unlike share permissions, NTFS permissions offer several other permissions besides Full Control, Change, and Read that can be set for groups or individually. The most restrictive permission applies when share and NTFS permissions conflict."

i remove my account from teh security permission tab but left the everyone group with full control in the share permission tab and i still wasnt able to access the folder. so if i have everyone group with full control shouldnt i be able to browse or view file in the folder?

You need to have both share permissions and NTFS rights...

With no share permissions, you aren't allowed to connect to the share...

If you have share permissions but no NTFS rights, you can connect to the share, but you have no rights at all at the files and folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back