Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Passwords in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaGLP

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
US
Here's the deal:
I have two computers connected via a router. I want to password protect the files that I'm sharing but I need to know how to do that. Basically, so when I want to get a file from Computer #2 on Computer #1, I need a user name and/or password.

The Windows security model may not let you do what you want. You can either permit people to access the files, you can restrict what they can do during tha access if you are using NTFS as a filestore, but there is not a native feature to prompt for each file every time for a username and password.

If you encrypt the files, a similar situation exists. Either they have the security certificate or they are denied access. If you compress the files, you have the ability to get prompting.

Many in a Workgroup setting that require per file username and password prompting use Third-Party tools to achieve this end. Google 'password protect files windows xp' to see a lot of options.

ok, just access is fine, no password needed . . can i set it up so just the other computer can access it but not other computers on the network?

Yes.

Add to the workstation hosting the shared volume the usernames with passwords you want to allow access.

When you create or edit the share itself, allow only those users by name.

If the filestore is NTFS you have additional priviliges you can permit or deny by user.

The key is that in a Workgroup you cannot enumerate other workgroup users, you need to add them as local users and then every aspect of what they can do is controlled by both share and NTFS permission you apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back