Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing MS Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emario

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have just asked my network administrator to put an access 2k database on our network. She created a new drive and everything work fine if a user opens it the app. But it stop at the switchboard. When they click the command button which is supposed to open the form or reports nothin g happens. What can be causing this. It is in Shared mode on the network and is in no locks mode. Please help. Thanks. Frantic

The switchboard is using DAO code. You'll need to convert your DB to ADO. The easy way is to go into the VBE, click tools, references and then check the DAO 3.51 or 3.6 reference and move it to the top of the list. Then, compile the project and insert DAO before and DAO object reference. (I.E, DAO.Database, DAO.Recordset...)

Alternately, (And I prefer this), change all of your code to be ADO compliant.

Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

I might have missed the point here but have you checked that the file is set to shared

tools > options > advanced > shared

Donny

Yes it is set to "shared" in the advanced area

To databaseguy,

THE VBE does not allow me to move it ot the top of the list. the ADO 3.6 that is. The arrow goes gray. At the top of the list are Visual Basic for Applications and Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library.

I have a similar problem with an Access 2000 DB. It is in shared mode and all of the code has been converted to DOA. It runs fine on a local systems hard drive but when it is run on a network drive it takes 90 seconds for each form to load. Once the form has loaded the navigation between records is fine. When a button on the switchboard is pressed, the computer just sits there and wait for the server to do something. Any ideas would be greatly apprecitated.

Sorry, I should have said move it up as far as possible.

Have you gone into the VBE and hit "compile all modules" ?? Do this, and the code will hang and highlight the areas it doesn't recognize. It will most likely be "..as database" and "..as Recordset". Change to "..as DAO.Database" and "...as DOA.Recordset" as applicable.

As far as ADO, MS has and my web page has an article titled 97 vs 2000. Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

I haven't had any luck as of yet. Is there any easier way to share aceess?

Until you can figure out how to switch to ADO, you can copy the DAO file from 97. When 2000 is loaded this file is not there. If you copy and paste this into the common files folder of your C drive, you can then select the 3.6 box in A2K. Might not be the best way, but it worked for me. I also just got rid of the old switchboards and redid them.
-Smack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back