Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing linked tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMCONNOR

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
US
I have a couple databases that at times need to share the employee table. The problem is that both databases can't be open at the same time on the same PC. Both databases can be open and working properly as long as they are on separate PCs

The error I get is: "Couldn't use ...(path); file already in use."

The two databases in question are front ends. The back ends live on a Novell server. The PC's are XP, SP2.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

make sure its shared i dont see the problem is because its on 1 computer

is it that you have 2 database files with the same name?

I will try my best to help others so will others do!!!!!
IGPCS
Brooklyn, NY

The employee table is in the back end of database 1. Database 2 has its own back end but also links to the employee table. Different users in my workgroup can be working with one front end or the other front and there's no problem (some users can have one open and other users have the other open at the same time). The error occurs when one user tries to have both open on a single PC.

and the error is to witch one the one that has the back end linked or the other one?

I will try my best to help others so will others do!!!!!
IGPCS
Brooklyn, NY

It's apples to the DB that is linked only to the table but has its own back end.

I have no problems at all linking (and opening) the same employee table from more than two databases concurrently. We do something quite similar here.

hmmm

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back