Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Internet over Ethernet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georules

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
US
I have a small network at home with NT4.0 and Win98 and was wondering if it is possible to share a dial-up connection with other computers over my 10/100BaseT network without a router.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am willing to use either Internet Explorer and Netscape if you know a setup for either. <p>Geo Miller<br><a href=mailto:Georules@onebox.com>Georules@onebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Um Proxy Server?&nbsp;&nbsp;Hmm might I be missing something here? You say you have a Dial up ISP, and with that one account you want multiple access right?&nbsp;&nbsp;If thats the case, you can also look at IP-Switch. <p>The Geek<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

DOH meant to say IP-Share.&nbsp;&nbsp;Forgot who makes this product, just do a search on it. <p>The Geek<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Don't forget!<br>Win98se has sharing integrated if you are dialing up through the 98 box.<br>If you are dialing up through the NT machine, you will have to have a proxy, there are shareware ones out there.&nbsp;&nbsp;check out download.com, or other shareware sites.<br><br>Good luck. <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Can I dial up on a win98 and let a winNT use the connection to?&nbsp;&nbsp;how do I do what you suggested and/or what I would like to do? <p>Geo Miller<br><a href=mailto:Georules@onebox.com>Georules@onebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

On the 98 box, install ICS from ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.&nbsp;&nbsp;In the process of installing ICS, you will create a client disk that contains an executable.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm not sure if this executable will work on NT, but give it a shot anyways.&nbsp;&nbsp;The executable will configure TCP/IP for the client machine.<br><br>On the 98 machine, the TCP/IP properties for the DialUp Adapter should all be resolved by DHCP. The TCP/IP should be an internal static ip #, i.e. 192.168.1.1<br>The TCP/IP for the client NT box should be static as well, as I don't know if ICS works as a DHCP server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Give the NT box 192.168.1.2, with default gateway of 192.168.1.1<br><br>Being quite honest, I don't know if this will work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have not tested this with NT, but have been successful with W95.&nbsp;&nbsp;And I see no reason why this would not work.&nbsp;&nbsp;All the client machine needs is an IP, and a place to send requests, i.e. default gateway.<br><br>Good luck!<br>Please respond if you are successful or not, and we can troubleshoot this some more.<br><br>Side note:&nbsp;&nbsp;Has anyone else been successful with ICS and Windows NT? <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

I have just downloaded a program that is doing this for me quite well... but I will try out what you have suggested above.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think that might be better just because it won't take up as much of the system resources to do.<br><br>Thanks <p>Geo Miller<br><a href=mailto:Georules@onebox.com>Georules@onebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Making the other computers the default gateway of the connected one does work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't need any programs now.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks, AGod. <p>Geo Miller<br><a href=mailto:Georules@onebox.com>Georules@onebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back