Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing internet connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meishka

Technical User
May 18, 2003
GB
i share an internet connection on dial up with my machine via ethernet cable. Someone else set it up for me. Since I downloaded the new NTL dialer the other machine wouldn't browse etc though it LOOKED as if it was. Have gone back to the orginal dialer but still no luck. Managed to connect the client machine for half and hour by clearing the ARP cache, though i had solved the problem but nope, it's not working again!! Have run connection wizards etc etc any ideas anyone???

you thought of upgrading to the NTL cablemodem? damn site easier to set up :)

apart from that, are you just using the standard microsoft connection sharing tools, or a third party tool?

Can't get cable here!! I think I'm using standard microsft sharing tools, excuse my igorance on this but I didn't set it up, an engineer did who seems to have diappeared off the face of the earth! Seems to keep wanting me to renew the IP address but don't think I should be using that anyway on this set up, have tried to do that with the command etc but no luck. am using compact NC3121 fast ethernet NIC and another one on other computer

umm ... right ...

to be perfectly honest i've never actually tried doing this, except as 'phone support' with my dad, and he was using a usb modem, so that the microsoft tools didn't want to talk to that ...

can you connect up and talk from the machine with the modem no hassle?

if you can, it might be worth while looking for a proxy server to install on that machine

If you want a simple internet sharing solution, I think you better go with Microsoft's Internet Connections Solution (ICS). Try going over or open up a google search and search for "ICS."

There are a lot walkthroughs avaiable on the net. Get one and learn it, its worth the effort (believe me :)

K, Good luck.

Thanks for all your suggestions!! I feel I know quite a bit now! Had to call an engineer out in the end, cost me an arm and a leg but at least its working now. It would appear that the wires on the end of the ethernet had come 'adrift' then he put VSOCKS on so not sure what the real problem was !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back