Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
US
Hi,

I have connected two PCs through NIC/RJ45 Crossover cable and able to share drive/folders. How do I Share single internet (dialup connection using Compuserve) between these two systems.

Please provide with step by step configuration.

Thankyou.
Ravi

well ravi
get hold of analogx proxy
just download it and install it on the comp
in which u have the modem and run it it will appear in
ur taskbar
now goto the other pc
and open internet explorer
goto tools->intenet options->connections->lan settings->
check on use a proxy and give the address 192.168.1.1
and the port as 6588
thats it u should now be able to browse
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

hello,
i am accessing the internet over a dsl (linksys router) thru a wireless network.
it is connected to a layer 3 switch.
on one of the segements of the switch i have 192.9.201.x
there is an orinoco router connected to this (192.9.201.99)
the other end is a wavelan card (192.9.201.98) which terminates in a WIN2k server.on the WIN2K server i have 2 ethernet cards besides the wavelan card.
1.realtek (192.9.200.179)
2.Compex (192.168.1.5)
These cards have the wavelan card as the gateway and the wavelan card has the layer 3 switch as the gateway.
initially we configured the network on a single card and on enabling internet sharing on the wavelan card we were able to access the internet.now that we have put configured the second card (compex)we are not able to access the internet on this segement.
the internet sharing option on the wavelan card enables me to share it on any one of the networks.
but my requirement is
1.Accessing the internet on both the lan segments
2.Two segments on two network cards which are independent
i am looking forward to a solution where i can use my existing win2k server and layer 3 switch .
please suggest me if this can be acheived using the win2k server as a router ?
is it possible to do this using a proxy server ?
will a proxy server enable me to configure for both the ethernet cards?

Regards,
kcp

During an MS-DOS window (50x80) emulated session (C:\WINNT\system32\command.com) on a W2K server machine, how can I avoid the system to pop up and ask me to "Terminate now" the task when I close the window (with the X button)?
NOTE: I *DID'NT* check the "Notify if active" option in the properties window.

well kcp
u can use NAT by enabling Routing And Remote Access
If your server has 3 network cards,
2 nic's connected to the LAN, and one connected to a cable/xDSL modem.
click on for Routing & Remote Access in Programs -> Administrative Tools
choose 'enable Routing & Remote Access'
Select 'manual configuration'
click next until the setup has completed
right click on 'general' under the IP routing section
choose 'New Routing Protocol'
Choose NAT
Right click on 'Network Address Translation' under the IP routing section
choose 'new interface'
First, select your public interface which is connected to internet,Set this interface to 'public interface connected to the internet' and check 'translate TCP/UDP headers'
For the 2 internal interface choose 'private interface connected to private network'
rght click on Nat and choose properties
Go to the address translation tab, and make sure the checkbox 'automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP' is DISABLED, make sure everything is disabled as well.

now goto the DNS in administrative tools ,right-click on the local server name, and choose properties
Go to the forwarders tab, and enable forwarders type in the address of the DNS server of your ISP, and click OK Reboot your server
at the client side just put the default gateway and DNS as the IP of ur RRAS server.
i think this will work
Kapil
Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back