Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing folders from 1 domain to a workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloaupito

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
I have a PC, call it ONE, with NIC cards connected to 2 separate LANs (IPs of 171.17.x.x and 171.16.x.x). This W2K PC belongs to a domain A on 171.16.x.x and has a shared folder. Other W2K PCs on the 171.17.x.x LAN are not part of domain A but rather in their own workgroup B.

From other PCs on the domain A LAN, there is no problem accessing the shared folder on ONE.

The problem is that PCs from workgroup B on LAN 171.17.x.x cannot access the shared folder on ONE despite creating user accounts with passwords for them to do so.

How do I configure this intranet so that workgroup B machines on one LAN can access the shared folder on ONE which is on a different LAN.

Thanks in advance.

A few questions come to mind right off the bat:

1) Is the second LAN part of the root Domain?

2) Are you running a WINS server?

3) Are you running DNS? If so - can you map the share using UNC in the format \\servername\sharename?

4) Is this a TCP/IP network?

Depending on the answers, i'll post this text I found as a general guide for you to go over - reply back if you need further assistance:

If you intend to access your server from another subnet for authentication, you will need to set up LMHOSTS files for each client or configure a WINS server. A sample LMHOSTS file can be found in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam
If you do not need to authenticate across subnets, then clients can access the resources on a server on another subnet simply by specifying the UNC path to the resource e.g. "\\Server\Resource". This succeeds via a DNS lookup, so the server's DNS name must match its computer name and "Use DNS for Windows resolution" must be enabled.

Good luck!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

1) Is the second LAN part of the root Domain? NO
2) Are you running a WINS server? YES
3) Are you running DNS? YES
If so - can you map the share using UNC in the format \\servername\sharename? I'll try it. Never done it.
4) Is this a TCP/IP network? YES

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back