Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing folder with 32-bit XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheer8923

Programmer
Aug 7, 2006
US
I used to have the following setup with 2 XP boxes, following the guideline at

Group: Home

Box A has account x and y

Box B has account y, password of y is the same as on A

Box A shares folder mp3, permits y to read it

Box B then opens \\A\mp3. No logon/password required.

This has worked for years, until I upgraded A to Win7 64 bit.

First, B loss access to A if A resumes from hibernation.

Someone suggests that I should use "Work Network" in stead of "Home Network" since I am mixing Win7 and XP.

I followed the suggestion and things got a lot worse: B can no longer access any shared folder from A. B will get a logon prompt in stead. When the same account x and password is entered, logon will fail -- the prompt appears again immediately. I've heard this happens b/w 2 XP boxes some times but I've never encountered it.

I switched it back to home group. Same.

Switched group, reboot; switch it back, reboot. Same.

What's the proper way to set up sharing at home?

Thanks!

Have a read:

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

also I would give all PC's in question STATIC IP's, and make sure that USER NAME & PASSWORD are the same...

on the Windows 7 box, check in the Device Manager the PowerSaving setting of the Network card in use, untick "Computer can turn of Device to save energy"... and make sure that NIC drivers are up to date...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It turns out, the account y on XP has its password expired. I rarely log on as y on A and did not know about it. Windows 7 expires a password in 42 days by default. I have to change the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back