Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing files between Linux and Windows partitions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 31, 2001
GB
Hi, I have Win98, Win2k and Mandrake Linux 8 running on my PC. The 2 versions of Windows share a partition on the first hard disk. Linux has a partition on the second Hard disk. Is there a funky tool that enables linux to read the fat partitioned hard disk and windows to read the linux partitioned hard disk so that files can easily be shared between the two?

Please be gentle as I'm very new to Linux (I've now been a Linux user for almost 1 day!)

Thanks....

Adrian.

your other windoze partitions will be "mounted" under /mnt/

so if you type "ls /mnt/" you'll see all the partitions on your system.

your c: drive will look something like "win_c" and you can use it without having to do anything special.

the other way round tho....

cool.. the other way round is not so important (obviously!) =) ... thanks MrTom.

windoze is not very friendly towards other operating systems (you might have noticed), so there is really no way to see the linux partitions from windoze...however, as MrTom said, seeing windoze partitions from linux is very easy. you can read/write to the linux partition with no problems. linux is very nice like that.

OK - but.......????
I have my PC dual booting with Win98 on the first primary partition and RH7 on the second. Everything works, except that when I do 'ls /mnt' all I see are: cdrom, floppy, and zip. I don't see win_c.

How do I get it to show up as a mountable volume??

Any ideas would be appreciated.`

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

man mount
man fstab
edit /etc/fstab
or use linuxconf for it

this should work
mkdir /mnt/windisk
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windisk
/dev/hda1 depends on your configuration
-this works just once, after restart it will get lost, use fstab

Thanks bubak - it work first shot. :)

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

To get a Delphi/C++ Programmed Application that lets you view linux partitions from windows, GUI (Graphical user interface) Based, go to:
This program is a hand of god, I use it, and Its superb.
It saved me a lot of time copying files from linux to windows.
The program lets you export files from linux to windows, not otherwise in the current version, but that you can do with mounting the vfat partitions under linux, as I did it and as our friends above explained.
btw Im not the programmer of the program and I don't know the programmer, but as this program is one of a kind I suggest everyone who uses it to e-mail the programmer and encourage him. He did a very good job.

P.S. I'm not religious :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back