Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing calender on Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertime

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Hi guys,

I have two users connected to my network who want to share the same Outlook calender so they can check each other's diary entries. Is there a way of sharing this through let's say a remote network drive on the server?

Suggestions appreciated!

Hammertime

Are you using Exchange? If so, they should be able to either give each other permission to access their own calendar under Tools|Options|Delegate or you can create a Calendar under Public Folders and give them both permission to use it.

Juli

No we do not use Outlook here as a mail package. There is no Exchange server either. I would be simply installing Outlook on each computer and then devising a way for them to share the same calender, can this not be done unless you use Exchange? Would Outlook 2003 let me do this?

Hammertime

Can anyone else help on this, I really need an urgent reply!

Many thanks,

Hammertime

Don't know if this will be of any help to you but what I normally do is the following for each user.

1. Open outlook and select the tools menu.

2. On the tools menu select options.

3. On the options menu select claendar options.

4. Select free/busy options and fill in the required url.

This will work even if you are not using exchange (I'm fairly sure) It's been a while since I've done this but it's worked in the past.

Hope I was of some help.

Comboy.

Thanks Comboy, this look like a plan however when you say a url do I need to obtain one for hosting this or do I just type in the PC's IP addy?

Hammertime :)

Hey Hamertime.

Sorry for the late reply as I've been out on a call. I'm
not sure if the IP address will work as I've never had to do it that way and wouldn't even know where to start to be honest. I've always used our intranet to host these type of things.

Let me know how you get on as I'm on holidays for the next week (beer and more beer for me) and I'll set up so that if you reply I'll get mail.

Cheers,

Comboy

If you have a web site you can also have the users save their calendars as a web page.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks for your replies guys!

thefourthwall, I think this could work however I take it the PC hosting the shared calender will need to be on all the time? I was hoping to save the calender on a remote drive somewhere, is this possible?

Hammertime

Forgot to mention that with net folders from what I can see you need to use Outlook as your mail client which we do not use here! We do however have a website although I have no authority over it so how would hosting the calender there work?

Thanks,

Hammertime

Outlook has an option to save your calendar as a web page. You just pick the location to save it to. For your setup, it may be possible to save the calendars as a web page on a shared drive instead of on a web server. Then your users can simply point their browsers to that folder to view the calendars.

Also, have you checked out any other calendar software? I used to use one at a previous job and it allowed you to control who sees who's calendars and even have shared calendars. If you're interested I'll look up the name for you . I think it needed a server to run on though, which may not fit your setup.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Hi philote,

Using a shared drive is perfect, however I can't save the Calender as a webpage due to not having IE Web Publishing Wizard and it doesn't seem to be available in Add/Remove Programs. Only thing I can find for download is for Win95/NT, any ideas?

Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. I thought the Web Publishing Wizard was pretty much an FTP program with an easy to use interface. If you're saving to a shared folder I wouldn't think you'd need it. Did you try to "Save as a Web Page..." from Outlook? And what message did it give you?

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

I'm already trying to save it as a Web page and this is why I need the Web Publishing Wizard. Outlook says to save the Calender as a Web page you must first install the IE Web Publishing Wizard. It says I can download it from Microsoft however I can only find a version for Win95/NT and it doesn't install anyway!

I found this:

It says at the bottom that you can install the web publishing wizard on windows 2000 (and XP I presume) to resolve this problem. The installation will generate some errors or warnings that you can ignore.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess you could always upgrade to Outlook 2002 or 2003. I haven't had any problems publishing calendars to web pages using Outlook 2002 and Windows XP.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Ok i've upgraded to Office XP and I can now save Web Pages and I have the calender on a remote drive but can be accessed by typing the address of the drive in IE - YAY! Now, my original plan is to have two users sharing this same calender who can both view it and edit it. Can this be done?

Thanks for your help, sorry to drag this out!

Hammertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back