Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTBC

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
Hi there.
Not an IT newbie, but definitely a bit of a wireless newbie...:->
I've got an XP SP2 desktop with a 512 Broadband connection. I've got a Sony Vaio laptop on ME (though this could be upgraded to XP). What do I need to buy and do to share the Broadband connection with the laptop please?

Thanks very much guys.

You will need a Wireless Access Point (I would suggest a Router/Switch/Access Point). Netgear, Linksys, D-Link among others make appropriate equipment. I would get one that supports 802.11g.

You may have to buy a wireless access card for your laptop. They make them in a PCMCIA style and USB.

I would probably suggest the upgrade to Windows XP since it is easier to get wireless working with.

Dan

Thanks Dan.
Yes, I will need a wireless access card for the laptop and can upgrade it to XP.
Can anyone recommend any cheap(ish) WAP and card sets please?

Have a look on Ebay .......... I picked up a recon 108Mb Access Point for pennies compared to the shops !!!!

But as mentioned; NetGear, LinkSys, D-Link .... all are good .... I have a NetGear Access Point, 1 laptop has no-name USB wireless, 1 laptop has MS PCMCIA card and 1 laptop has built in ..... all running XP, all a piece of cake to get set up !!!!!

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

I recently bought my daughter a Netgear Wireless G router with WPA and a NAT/SPI firewall, but the older Netgear dual A/B card wouldn't work with it. I looked long and hard trying to find a pcmcia card that would do both WEP and WPA, preferring the WPA encryption. I finally settled on a good deal of a card made by ZyXEL. I was surprised how slow the card makers are at implementing WPA. It was easy to install the router software and get her laptop connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back