Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Broadband access with Mac and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgrayson

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
Wife (to be) has a PowerMac 266Mhz with Cable modem attached running mac OS 9. I have a PC Pentium III running winMe coming into the home soon.

I would like to find a router solution that will allow both computers to share broadband internet access. A PC only network has a number of solutions; I believe that a MAC only network has the same number of solutions. Any solutions out there that will accommodate BOTH platforms?

Thanks in advance

WJG

Firstly a hardware router that uses a web interface is not limited to any one type of computer.

If you wish to use a software router, pick the more stable, more likely to be running box, then if it is the mac buy IP Net router from Sustainable Software and if it is the PC buy Sygate' Home network.

In ether case, the software is entirely on one machine and the other box uses the stock ethernet access. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

What you need is an ethernet router. Look for a router that has either a built in hub or switch. Put the router between the cable modem and your computers. The router will take the single IP address from your cable modem and serve another range of addresses to your computers. This Network Address Translation (NAT) will also serve as a type of firewall for your small network of machines.

I recommend the Linksys Cable/DSL Router line of switches (linksys.com). I have setup four of these units for 4 separate PC/Mac scenarios and I am not finding any problems with setup or maintenance.

Models BEFVP41 (4port VPN), BEFSR81 (8port), BEFSR41 (4port)

Check those model numbers at shopper.com for a quick look at the prices available.
Thanks, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back