Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing an Outlook address book across a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieNC

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am trying to set up Microsoft Outlook on our office network so that all Outlook accounts on the network refer to one centralised Contacts list. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, what the best way to do this would be.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would suggest setting up a public folder in Public Folders > All Public Folders that is a contact list for everyone to use. You can give everyone read access, but only others write access, or however you want.

Hi,

You'll need to set it up as a public folder. If you have appropriate admin rights then just right click on Public Folders in your folder list & select New Folder. I think from there it's pretty much the same as setting up a personal folder, but with the addition of user privileges. You'll then need to decide whether this is just an additional folder your users can view or if you want to set it to their default contacts folder.

Hope that helps

Sharon

Thanks for your help. The only thing is that, when I view my folder list there doesn't appear to be a public folder section. Any thoughts?

You could try searching the Microsoft knowledge base, I'd have thought it's probably a fairly standard thing, I've only worked with systems that already have it set up.

Celeste025: I wasn't meaning to repeat you, just posted at the same time!

Sharon

The question no-one asked:

Jamie, do you have an Exchange erver? If so, what version.

Everyone talks about Public folders but jamie never said there was an Exchange server involved! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

I have never heard of an "Exchange Server" so I would presume that we do not have this facility. My office network is peer-to-peer (if this info is of any help) and we are using the following version of Outlook:

Microsoft Outlook 2000-SR1 Corporate or Workgroup

If an exchange server is required to share an address book, can you let me know what this is and how I would go about getting one??

Thanks very much for your help.

Exchange is a mailserver.
If you don't know what an exhange server is, don't start with it now.
Read about it and all possible things that can go wrong in forum858

But, you mention Microsoft Outlook 2000-SR1 Corporate or Workgroup, Corporate mode ONLY works with Exchange, so that would no be possible since you say you don't have one.

[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! -
Marc[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back