Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing a printer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfan1606

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
Ok...I know I am missing something simple here.

I have a Win2k box with NTFS. 3 Win 98 boxes with FAT32.
I want to share a printer which is connected to the Win 2K box. I have the printer shared. File and Print sharing is enabled in the network properties. The Win 98 boxes cannot see the printer on the network. When I click on the Win 2K computer in network neighborhood (on Win 98) I get a permission denied on \\main\IPC$ and it ask for a password.

What am I missing here? Do I need to create a user on the Win 2K machine using the login and password of the Win 98 user?

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention that this is on a workgroup using TCP/IP.
The network has been functioning fine for some time...so IP addresses and wiring are not an issue.

'What am I missing here? Do I need to create a user on the Win 2K machine using the login and password of the Win 98 user?'

You got it in one!

thanks...the solution is always simple 99% of the time!

thanks...the solution is always simple 99% of the time! This is at a client's office so I am not able to experiment on my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back