Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a Microsoft Access database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgehill

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
GB
Can anyone tell me how i can share a Access 2000 database. I want to share it with two other users. Hope someone can help me

Steve

Hi

At its most simple you just put it on a network share and give each user a shortcut to the mdb file, this is assuming the users have Access on thoer PC, and have full permissions in the folder where the mdb resides

BUT like most things in life it can become more complicated, you may want to think about splitting the databse into two mdb's; a front end (containing forms, reports, code, queries etc) which is placed on each users local drive, with links to the table in the backend which is located on the network share (the backend contains only tables ie data).

You may also need to think about other implications of have multiple users (eg record locking), it depends what your database does. You may also want to think about security, not just access to data, but also the possibleity that teh other user(s) will tinker with the database code forms etc and potentially screw them up.

As I said it can get more complicated than were we started

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks Ray

When you have split the database is it possible yo multi-use the database ie two people manipulating the databse at anyone time. Also how do you copy the forms over to the other workstation. Sorry to bother you again !

Steve

Hi

Yes subject to the warnings I gave you about locking etc you can have 'n' peopel accessing the data

Once you ahve made your "front end" you can copy it to other PC(s) using explorer.

Using this approach (among other thinsg) makes maintenance easier, you can amend AND TEST the front end away from the live data, then when you are ghappy simply replace the live version with the new version.

I normally keep a master copy of the front end on the server, this is not actaully used by anyone, it is simply there so that A) it is backed up (servers are usually backed up!) and B) so I can distribute it to the users who need it. If you have only one or two users, and they are in same room or very near copying with explorer is probably not too much of a work up, but if you have lots of users perhaps spread over several floors of a big building, it can be a pain. In this event I usually use a batch file script to download a new version. The download can happen each time the user runs the application of only when version changes, it depends on you,a nd how large the application is, how busy the network is etc.

It sounds like you have a samll situation which is easily manged with nothing more complex than explorer, but it may grow, so it pays to be forewarned on the way to go.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

I liked what Ken wrote.

The big question is are using bound forms or unbound forms. Unbound works well and you can control the record locking through VBA. If you are using bound, then I do not reccomend splitting out yet. Ken or I can help you write this code, but maintainance will come into play. Hope this helped.

I havee shared databases between two or three users by using Accesses record locking.

Click Tools, Options, Advanced. This allows you to decide on the type of locking used.

Whilst this keeps it simple all the above comments will allow the user base to grow. I have only used this method for small numbers of users

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

I've got several databases (access 97) in use by multiple users. I use bound forms, and have split most - not all - of the databases.

The split databases are the most reliable, although I've got a few that aren't split that perform OK (not too many concurrent users entering or editing data).

I've got up to 25 concurrent users on a couple of them, without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back