Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a jukebox between a Networker server and Storage Node

Status
Not open for further replies.

P4Pip

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Has anyone out there tried sharing a jukebox between a server and storage node. If so did they come accross any problems they would like to share with me.

I have a question. Why would you do that? Isn't the primary purpose of a storage node to limit traffic across the network. Are you using switches to route traffic?

Just curious.

yes we are using switches to route. The idea is to have the storage node backing up our Novell data and the server backing up our NT and Unix data. We have problems when we request a backup of our Novell data its sends the request to backup over our backup network, but then routes the data back down over our main network, (hope you're following this so far). The node will have W2K so we can stop the data coming down the main network. And by adding a SCSI card the node and getting it writing to the library I'm hoping for a better write speed to the tapes. Hope that makes sense. What do you think?

Yes P4Pip, we run a 6 drive, 100 slot autochanger with the storage node connected to 4 of the DLT7000's and the main Legato server connected to the other 2 and the robot.

Basically, we've done this to maximise throughput (single SCSI bus for each drive - except one that shares with the robot).

Shaing a library is commonplace with networker. This works very well for many of us. However, backing up Novell clients to a storage node is only possible with version 4.2 of the NetWorker client. It is not possible on previous versions.

I'd like to make a small note on whether it's possible or not to backup data to a storage node using a Novell client older than 4.20. It is possible, but not recommended, since the data is sent to the storage node via the backup server... Don't know if this is fixed in the 4.20 client, but I hope so! :)

Good luck!

// Matts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back