Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

leobis

Technical User
Aug 10, 2002
IT
Hi All,

I am experiencing the following problem;I'm trying to create a folder and share it in a partition (NTFS) on my w2k professional system, which is connected to my domain in w2k Adv. Server; when I am logged as "Administrator" everything is Ok, but when I am logged as domain user on right-clicking the folder the sharing oprtion is NOT displayed (I had the user join as member of "Server Operators" and then to "Administrators" groups,s but with no success; what should I do to solve this problem?
thanks in advance.

Leonardo

ciao Leonardo,
only the domain admin or local admin can share a folder in a Pc connect to a domain.
If you have shared by administrator, you can browse the net (by domain user) and you'll find the folder shared.
You can't modify teh setting but you can use it.

I hope I have understood your problem.

Vanni

Leonardo,

Why not make yourself a local admin on the machine. That way you can admin the share on the HDD.

- Graeme.

Hi Vanni & GraemeR and thanks a lot for your help.
This morning I was reading that members of the"Server Operators Built-in domain local group" have the rights to share folders, but I omitted to read that those members can performe such rights ONLY on domain controllers ... so thanks again for pointing me out about this as little as important oversight; but does this expection concern members of the Administrators (built-in local domain group) as well?
thanks again
Leonardo

Not to my knowledge, the Administrators can make any administrative share on any resource on the network.

- Graeme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back