Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shares private to all but owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I have a Windows 2000 Server and I need to make two folders that give only access writes for read or write to the owners. These owners are Domain Users with Admin privileges. How do I do this so that the folders are invisible to all but them even if the folders are on a Hard Drive that is shared?

AV

Windows does not have that capability. Novell Netware does.

The best you can do is to share out the directory and give the users CHANGE access to the share, and CHANGE access at the NTFS level.

Remember that by putting a $ at the end of the share name, it will be "hidden".

i.e. Bob's home directory may be e:\data\users\Bob, and you would create a Bob$ share pointing to that folder.

Hope that helps.

What about taking an unshared hard drive and making these two folders and getting rid of everyone, including the administrator except for the owners of these folders. Can I do that, so that only they have access to them?

Thanks, AV

AV1611:

You're asking two separate questions here.

The first is limiting access to a particular user or users. Novel, Win32, Unix all do that.

The second is how to make the share visible only to certain users. Microsoft's sharing system makes everything visible to users. It's just that when you click on something to which you have access, you're locked out. Novell has long been good about not showing you things that you don't need to see. Samba works the same way.

Do you need all but the appropriate users locked out, or do you need all but the appropriate users to not see the share?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back