Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shares on another server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2002
US
Ok. I have an interesting setup going and I wanted to get some ideas on how to get this to work the best.

I have the following situation:

1 new Windows 2003 server (server1)
clients that are connecting to server1

I have information on shares on a old server (server2)

I want the clients to be able to access the files off server2 thru server1 either via a logical drive mapping or something.

Clients cannot directly connect to server2 as it is directly connected to server1 (server2 is on a entire different network).

Any suggestions?

Tim

If I'm understanding right you want users to access files that are on server2 but from server1:

Are you able to create a shortcut to the file from server2 onto server1?
This would be the simplest solution. I'm assuming you plan to keep server2 online, but if not, then you can transfer server2 files onto server1.

Zilantyas
Professional Information Technology Solutions

like xmsre said, use dfs, then you dont have to transfer any files. go into your admin tools on server1 and click the Distributed File System. right click on dfs and set up a new root and follow the instructions. It is very easy and all your shares can now be mapped to one share on the new server.

If you have questions please post them and i will try to help out.

Depends what your trying to achieve.

If your requirement is increased performance from the new server, so users get there data faster and you have more disk capacity DFS or any other method will not solve this requirement. DFS is a way to get at the data (as well as more simpler standard NT domain sharing and login scripts)

Because however you get to the data you will still be bound by the old server2 disk IO/CPU and Memory config (which all get used when files are accessed). If your after speed from server1 migrate the data from server2 to server1 and edit your login script to now point to server1. You can still use the same share names as server2.

If you are concerened with application problems, i.e. application configs on clients could be tied to the old server2 computer name etc. I would in this scenario create a simple scritped file which would change a clients settings to point to the new server name (this script can be delivered by a number of methods)

Mart099

DFS is simply a method of unifying a namespace independt of the physical location of the files.

for:

"I want the clients to be able to access the files off server2 thru server1 either via a logical drive mapping or something."

DFS foots the bill.

However, for:

"Clients cannot directly connect to server2 as it is directly connected to server1 (server2 is on a entire different network)."

it does not. DFS works by redirecting the client to the actual location.

Does dfs provide increased file security as far as making files available even if server 2 were to fail or is it simply a mthod of link to a file located somewhere else.

I am looking for a way to have dyanimic copies of files on 2 servers that sync.

Thanks

David

Here's the answer to my own question from Microsoft:

• Simplified access to files and folders. DFS provides an intuitive way for users to access multiple file servers throughout your organization. File and folder replicas can even be made available across multiple sites to provide inexpensive access to users within each site.
• Easier maintenance. Because DFS eliminates machine name dependencies and provides a uniform, virtual folder space for end users, you can perform maintenance tasks, such as server consolidation or data migration, without affecting how users and applications locate data. Because the shares are virtual, administrators have more flexibility to move shares. Servers aren’t tied directly to share names. As a result, servers can be replaced, changed, or moved without impacting the share name or availability.
• Increased cost savings. Managing storage in a distributed environment can cost as much as 75 percent of an organization’s IT budget according to a Gartner Group study. DFS can reduce this expense through more efficient management of existing resources.
• Fault-tolerant file access. DFS transparently routes clients to the next available server in the event of failure so users can always access shares while remaining unaware of any problem.
• High availability and performance. DFS provides load distribution, making data highly available. In environments where multiple servers have thousands of users, file server response is enhanced.
• Improved file path performance. DFS provides the added benefit of reduced delays that occur when user’s access heavily used shared folders.
• Smart access to resources. Through DFS, clients can access the closest resources and file servers, reducing stress on network bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back